3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 11:08 AM by Jared Conway

solid contact in motion study

Dan Shi

1, In motion study, when using solid body contact (with use precise contact in motion study properties setting), there are still the case the contact body penalty each other.

It does not happen each time, while it happened. Could someone give some advice on this, how to avoid this?

2, Using Restitution coefficient for the contact, there is no problem. However, when change it to material and Friction contact, the simulation will stop. What should I pay attention to if I change the way for the contact?

3, The advanced motion analysis options setting in motion study properties, what's the unit for the initial integrator step size?  Could someone give the general guideline for these setting?

Any advice will be appreciated.

• Re: solid contact in motion study
          Jared Conway

hi dan, probably want to move this one to the motion analysis forum.

could you elaborate on:

1. what do you mean by "

penalty each other."

2.what type of contact is happening? persistant? intermittent? what other solver parameters are you using? post the properties for the 2 contact types you're comparing. does it work in a sample model? version/service pack?

3.are you on subscription? i would check out S-018852 in the solidworks kb at customerportal.solidworks.com. also this is covered in the motion training class/manual. the step size is s i believe.

Dan Shi

Hi Jared, thank you very much.

How can I move this to the motion analysis forum, or could you move it for me?

1, Penalty means penetrate, sorry for the ambiguity. The simulation is a ball bouncing on one vibrating plate. Sometimes the ball penetrates the ball even I use precise contact in motion study properties.

2, the contact is Solid body contact, the bouncing ball on a vibrating plate. It is intermittent.

For restitution coefficient 0.2,

when using material and Friction, material one steel (Dry), another Aluminum (Dry), Friction  vk 10.16mm/s uk 0.2 (For the Friction, in fact, I cannot change, the parameter is grey, the parameter here is the default value).

What you mean in a sample model?

Actually, when using material and Friction, it works for the first bouncing, then there is one error: deactivating constraint equation Zi.Yj in MotionModel_2. 

Version is Education Edition 2013 SP4.0.

3, I want to register my products. However, after I input the serial No and chose the version I was using, I am still not subscribed. I hope I can get the manual. Thanks

Jared Conway

i believe you edit your original one and then there is an advanced editor that allows you to make changes.

some penetration (even with use precise contact) is expected because of the use of tesselated data and also because this is still an iterative method. improving the number of FPS, the accuracy, playing with some of the solver parameters (such as reducing the initial value) and trying the impact option might give you better results for your needs. this may also solve your error message.

regarding a sample model, in troubleshooting we build simple models that we can test our methods to determine if we're dealing with a software or model or setup issue.

and regarding the customerportal, you'll need to speak with your instructor to get access to the kB. edu licenses don't have access to it. but your instructor does through your school's license and he can pull down the info for you.