AnsweredAssumed Answered

Inaccuate lift and drag coefficient results of nd2030 airfoil simulation

Question asked by Alex Chua on Nov 2, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 22, 2015 by Josiah Lund

Hi Experts Here,

Need you generous help on the issue as the topics says. Bascially, we run a flow simulation for nd2030 airfoil (2D) at Re 10^5. I followed the steps in "Introduction of SolidWorks Simulation 2012" and did some modifications in the running process. What I want to have is accurate enough (say, +-10%) lift and drag coefficients. Some key settings of my simulation are as follows:

Follow simulation in SW2012

2D simulation for nd2030 airfoil

Reynolds number is 10^5 (x-axis velocity is 4.9049 m/s)

External flow

No setting for boundary conditions

Increase the area to 400m * 400m * 0.004m (> 200 chords for both x and y axes, z-axis no change)

Use local mesh to enhance the area near to the airfoil (the component for )

I have attached my sld.part file and the wind-tunnel data here. Just analyze C_L first (I know C_d is more difficult and I am not in that step yet), which is 0.04, similar to the result (0.038) given in "Introduction of SolidWorks Simulation 2012" but there is a such big gap when compared with Selig's wind tunnel data (0.25 around). In such case, the simulation result is totally useless to me.

So help me out please!!!! I have tried whatever I can and believe my procedure is generally OK. However, I do hope I did sth wrongly and someone can modify my setting and get the good enough result.

Check some papers online and it sees that Xfoil can predict the C_l C_d pretty well. I think Flow Simulation should be more advanced than Xfoil so supposedly better results can be obtained. I must set sth wrongly.

Look forward to any replies!!!! Waiting online!!!!!!

Outcomes