11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2017 10:57 AM by Melissa McGovern

100% cpu usage on server

Bob Jones

Our server is frequently reaching 100% CPU usage which effectively shuts everything down and the server become completely unresponsive. Rebooting clears it up, but after a few days it seems to slowly climb up to 100% and requires another reboot. Anyone else having these issues and/or recommendations to correct it?

Virtual server environment

OS = Microsoft Windows 2008 server standard, 64bit environment, 32GB ram

DB = SQL 2008R2

Product = Enterprise PDM 2013 w/SP3

Thank you!

Bob

• Re: 100% cpu usage on server
          Charley Saint

Bob,

Welcome to the forums.

This might not even be related to EPDM, can you see what process is taking up 100% CPU. Also is this a single core machine or multi-core? These videos are really good guides to diagnosing these kinds of problems using a suite of tools from Microsoft, but they are highly technical and designed for IT:

Windows Sysinternals Primer: Process Explorer, Process Monitor, and More

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2010/WCL314

Ravi Teja

Bob,

Does your vault has replication setup?

Regards

Ravi T

Joy Garon

Hi Bob -

Do you have a maintence plan setup in SQL Server to reorganize the datbase and update statistics on the database?

You should contact your VAR for help.

Regards, Joy

Reorganize (when fragmentation is 30% or less)

The Reorganize Index task defragments and compacts clustered and non-clustered indexes on tables and views. This will improve index-scanning performance.

Update Statistics (typically run once a week for large databases)

The Update Statistics task ensures the query optimizer has up-to-date information about the distribution of data values in the tables. This allows the optimizer to make better judgments about data access strategies.

Bob Jones

Joy,

They did not have SQL maintenance setup previously, however about two weeks ago I setup a maintenance plan that runs once weekly, reorganizing and updating statistics, it has had no effect on this issue. I forced the plan to run intially and it has since ran twice successfully on the weekends, still no effect.

Thanks for the advice though.

Bob

Joy Garon

Hi Bob - Have you opened an SR so we can track and investigate the issue? How often is the issue happening? Any common events? (In other words, is it reproducible?) Regards, Joy

Jim Sculley

In SQL Server Management Studio, right click the SQL server instance and select Reports...Standard Reports...Activity - Top Sessions

This will tell you exactly who is consuming all the CPU time within the SQL server process and may help isolate the problem.

Jim S.

Bob Jones

Joy,

The reseller claims to have opened a case and is working with "developers," however I am unaware of any action taken to this point, I wanted to explore other options while waiting, hence the reason I am on this forum.

The issue happens regularly, after rebooting the server all is well, then after a couple (to a few days) the CPU reaches 100% and the server becomes almost unresponsive. I say "almost" because you can still get to it but it takes forever to get anything done. Once it reaches this point there seems to be nothing to do but reboot the server to clear it up.

I have been on the server when it is like this and as one might expect it is nearly impossible to get anything accomplished, however I was able to use PerfMon to determine that it was indeed the "SQLSRV.EXE" process that was taking up most of the CPU.

Jim,

I'll take a look at that the next time I get on that server and see what it says.

Thanks,

Bob