14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 3:12 PM by Jared Conway

Fatal error

Mike Campbell

Simulation 2012 nonlinear static. I get this error upon creating the study. It's obviously a gliche in the code. Can this compromise my study?

fatal error.jpg

• Re: Fatal error
          Timothy Holman

I have seen where there was an issue with the material that could cause this error.  This could cause an issue with your study if the material properties are off. 

Mike Campbell

I set the material for all components, saved and restarted SW with no change. I still get the error.

Timothy Holman

What material are you using.

Mike Campbell

1035SS. I changed it to 1015SS, saved and restarted SW with no change. I still get the error.

I'm out until Monday morning.

Jared Conway

this is happening on any file?

any study? linear and nonlinear?

any material?

did the software ever work on this system?

Mike Campbell

Only this file

Only this nonlinear study

Any material

Worked for years

Jared Conway

i'd make a brand new study

drag/drop everything except for the material and mesh

reapply the material using alloy steel to check a known good material

remesh and rerun.

post the model if you're still having trouble.

Mike Campbell

No difference. The error occurs before meshing but it will mesh and it will run although I haven't allowed it to finish as I'm still setting up the complete study. The error originally ocurred at the creation of the original study.

From the nature of the error itself, this must be an error in the code. Since it originally occurred when the study was created then it seems it has to be related to the model.

Jared Conway

does the part have a material applied in solidworks?

set it to alloy steel before you create a new study

when you create the new study, make it real simple. restraint and load. see if that makes a difference.

Mike Campbell

I'm working with an assembly. I'll check material for each body/part involved and create a new study. The error would have to go away before entering any variables as it originally occured in just that way. I'll get back Tuesday.

Mike Campbell

I saved the assembly as a different name, assigned materials to all components, and got rid of any suppressed components. Creating either linear or nonlinear studies with this model, the problem is still there. Use a different model and there is no problem. So, the problem is associated with this model but it still has to be a bug in the code. I need to "fix" whatever it is about the model that's a problem for the code so I can get the study done. What's the best approach to finding the offending data?

Jared Conway

Have you spoken to your reseller about this or checked the solidworks KB? (i guess only if you're on subs)

My experience is that this is material related. If you've stripped the parts that aren't part of the analysis and removed the materials and reapplied, that should have resolved the issue. The KB confirms this as well. However I do see a couple reports of that issue that were closed due to inactivity so there may be a software issue here that was fixed.

I'm almost out of solutions. Here's a few that I have left:

1. the KB says you need to remove the material first, (i assume then save), then reapply. that might be worth a shot.

2. the kb also says that if you're using an old material library, that might be the issue. if you've been carrying a material database from version to version, grabbing a material from another install might be worth while. or making a new material library and making your own known good material.

3. exporting as parasolid and reimporting into solidworks will get you to the same point that you're at minus any materials. then you can just apply materials at the simulation level.

in the end, getting on 2014 sp0.0 might be a good idea just to see if that issue has already been resolved.

Mike Campbell

I've found the problem. I failed to get the material changed for the offending part (it had material assigned). I discovered this using brute force, deleting parts and creating new studies until the error didn't appear. The material for that part is not to be found in any of the appropriate databases. Apparently, it was a new material created on someone's hard drive making it inaccessable. Hence, the white-space error, a material name with no record...it would be good if the response to that mistake was something more apropos.

Thanks for all you input, Jarod.