4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 8:29 AM by Jeff Holliday

What laptop do you use/recommend for running Solidworks?

D. B

We're using the Dell M6700 (business workstation/laptop), however these systems are failing hardware wise (they keep needing to get video card and screen replacements).

Anyway, we're tired of this and I'm wondering what other laptops out there are as solid, in terms of performance, for running Solidworks (i7 + the Solidworks "approved" video cards).

Thanks.

• Re: What laptop do you use/recommend for running Solidworks?
          Scott Lyon

If you go to the support site and system requirements for video card drivers there is a drop-down for brands of computers. Pretty much you go with one of them or find a boutique shop to build a custom ($$$$$$$) laptop.

D. B

what's a good boutique custom laptop build site?

Scott Lyon

I've not done a whole lot of research on them but when I was looking up video cards on nVidia's sight I came accross the Clevo brand. I ended up going with a Dell M6600 so my research on the matter came to an early end.

Stolen from a thread somewhere on the net -

Clevo is a Taiwan-based computer manufacturing company. It is principally engaged in the business of designing, developing, manufacturing and distributing electronic equipment and peripheral products. It offers a wide variety of notebook computers, including laptops, Tablet PCs, LCD PCs, information appliance products, and wireless products.  

While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc. They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.

Jeff Holliday

I'm not doubting you, but I am surprised at the problems you mentioned regarding the Dell 6700 although you can get "bad apples" from any type of product. I would be a bit concerned spending sizeable money for a custom-brand. They will most likely work, but check into a recognized brand (Boxx, etc) before deciding.

Best of luck!