3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 11:32 AM by Jared Conway

Testing for the ultimate geometry - how to evaluate?

Shar Fa

Hi, sorry for the weird title :-)

I am applying a constant pressure in a 45 degree angle on the surface of a silicon cylinder.

On one model the cylinder has rounded corners and on the other its not.

I'm wondering how can I use the van mises simulation to decide if one model is better handling the pressure than the other? Do I look at the maxium value on the van mises bar for each model and take th

• Re: Testing for the ultimate geometry - how to evaluate?
          Jared Conway

what are your design criteria? max displacement? max stress? some material specific criteria?

Shar Fa

Hi Jared,

Let's go both ways so next time I'll now what to look at.

1. Let's say im looking for best distribution of stress along the model so as to minimize its chances of failing.

Am I to observe the maximum stress value on the von mises bar for that model's simulation - and look for the model with the lowest value?

2. Let's say stress distribution is not a problem and I'm looking force maximum displacement to see that the silicon sleeve is flexible and adjustive to the stress applied.

Am I to observe the displacement URES bar and choose the mddel with the highest value?

How do I translate the deformation scale to actual displacement, multiply the given scale by the URES value?

Thanks!

Jared Conway

1. this is dependent on many factors only you know. the material, the heat treatment, the manufacturing...etc. referring to the standard strength of materials texts shoudl help you determine which value (von mises, P1..etc) that you should be using.

2. ures is the total deformation sqrt ( x^2+y^2+z^2) so that gives you the best inside into the total amount the part will move. you can dig into the components to see if it is moving more in one direction than another. the deformation scale you can set to 1 if you want. it is just there to exaggerate the deflection.