4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 11:43 AM by Joseph Russo

Missing windows

Joseph Russo

I was recently given a new laptop for my current Job abd I have discovered that the input windows are hiding behind Solidworks.  I need to figure out how to show the "missing windows" when Solidworks is prompting me for keyboard input.  I first determined this problem when I was opening a sheetmetal part and it appeared to hang.  When I hit Control Alt Delete for the task manager, it told me Solidworks was waiting for input from me.  Upon further inspection, I realized that Solidworks was talling me the sheet metal was saved in a rollback state and if I wanted to roll it forward press enter.  I remember this happening before so I pressed enter and it rebuilt the assembly and I could work.  This doesn't solve the problem though.  I need to see what Solidworks wants and that window is currently hidden from me.  Can someone tell me how to get Solidworks to show the input window on top of the Solidworks main screen?  I am running Solidworks 2012 and Windows 7 64 bit laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T510) and have 2 moniters (laptop display and Dell 23" LCD.  I would show a screen shot, but there is nothing to see except the regular work window.  Some pop ups work like "save as"- that opens on the laptop screen and the work window is on the regular moniter.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Joseph

• Re: Missing windows
          Jeremy Feist

it might not be "behind" SW, it may be on the "other monitor". the next time it happens, go into your video card options and switch which monitor is on the left and the windo may appear. then drag it back over the SW window, and you can reset your display options.

Joseph Russo

I was hoping that would work.  Unfortunately- it didn't.I am quite frustrated.  I have never had such a simple weird problem.  I know there is a pop up somewhere...  I even switched to just one monitor and it still hides somewhere...

Jeremy Feist

using on monitor would not resolve the issue if it was on the "other" monitor - the pop-ups remember their relative location to the SW window.

IF this is actually the issue, i think it can also be solved by resetting the SW registry - if you are comfortable doing that.

Joseph Russo

I switched the primary display to the secondary display and found a little tiny corner hiding towards the top right and was finally able to hover the mouse all the way at the topmost section and it rolled the window back down into a visable area.  Thank you for the suggestions.  I sincerely appreciate it.

Joseph