7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2013 2:33 PM by Jerry Steiger

Engineering Laptop

Unspecified Unspecified

Hi Guys,

I will be purchasing Solidworks soon but was wondering what is a good laptop to buy to support it. I am in Perth Wa. Please let me know your opinions and specs I should be going for.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Engineering Laptop
          Jeff Holliday

Welcome to the Forum. I have been using Dell Precision Workstation laptops for 6 years and like them very much. You can get some good prices on refurbs thru the Dell Small business outlet website. Boxx has a good track record but are on the expensive side. There are some available thru HP, Lenovo and Microstation also.

I would suggest checking the hardware recommendation portion on SWorks Customer Portal. You can enter the vendor/model and see if they meet the suggested minimum specs (graphic cards are important).

If you can afford it I would not try to slide by with the most inexpensive unit you can find. Going for a mid/high end will give you better chances of it meeting specs for several years.

• Re: Engineering Laptop
            Dan Harlan

We currently use ~6 DELL Precision M6600 mobile workstations that are about 2.5 years old and are very happy with them both as travel and desktop (with docking stations) workstations. Their configuration is:

• Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit, SP1
            • Intel Core i7 2860-QM CPU@ 2.50GHz
            • 16GB RAM
            • NVIDIA Quadro 5010M graphics card

Windows Experience Index numbers

• Processor 7.6
            • RAM 7.8
            • Graphics 7.4
            • Gaming 7.4
            • Disk 5.9

SolidWorks 2011 Benchmark

• Disk 78.7
            • CPU 107.1
            • Graphics 30.7
            • Total 216.5

OCUS Creo Elements Pro 5.0 Benchmark

• Disk 215
            • CPU 1099
            • Graphics 1026
            • Total 2137

(Note, all results from regular user mode with all corporate progams and configurations etc.)

Recomendations for any laptop/computer for MCAD use;

• Don't bother with more than 2 cores, MCAD programs really don't use more than 1
            • Get the fastest processor in GHz
            • Graphics must be NVIDIA
              • Usually I recommend 1 step down from top of the line
            • 12+ GB RAM

Be aware that performance and stability are VERY dependent upon graphics driver version, latest is not always the best.