3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 8:51 PM by Jerry Steiger

Dynamic Rope Motion with Pulley

Sercan Sercan

Hello everyone,

I am a senior mechanical engineering student and I have project with rope and pulley. I need to roll on rope to pulley with genereating electric motor.

At this point I dont know how I ganna create rope?

How it is be a flexible ?

What mates I need to make

Thanks best regards

• Re: Dynamic Rope Motion with Pulley
          Jerry Steiger

Sercan,

You might want to do some searchs for earlier posts on this question. Also see if your question is answered by one of the posts in the "More Like This" box to the right.

You won't be using any mates, as the rope will be defined in the context of the assembly with the pulley. You will most likely be using the Sweep command. You will have to make some approximations due to limitations in the way SolidWorks handles (or rather, doesn't handle) "non-manifold bodies". You will need to either have a small gap between the different turns of the rope or a small interference. They can't be perfectly tangent.

You might also try searching the web for "Mike J. Wilson SolidWorks" or "Michael J. Wilson SolidWorks". He used to have a website with a number of very clever SolidWorks models. I seem to remember one of them might be what you are looking for.

Jerry S.

Sercan Sercan

Hello Sir, Greeting from Turkey,

I am senior mechanical engineering student and I have some trouble to handle some of the subfunction of my graduation project. And ıf no excuse I want to get some help from you such as talented enginner. In my project, there is a AC asenkron electric motor attaced at 2.5 meters heght from ground and I need to run this motor both manually and automatially. The task of the motor is lift some goods from 1.2 meter to 2 meter. And there is case which electric off I have to lift goods manually from 1.2 meter to 2 meter.

How can I handle this ? I could not understand how to motor holds godds when electric off ?

Or if  motor brake is activated how can I ride maually this storage unit by hand ?

Thank you ?

Jerry Steiger

Sercan,

Sorry to be so slow to reply, but work has been rather hectic of late. You might want to check into the mechanisms that are used in elevators to hold the cars in place in the event of a power outage. I'm sure that there are a number of methods in use now. Mr. Otis came up with an early one, if not the first, back in 1852.

Jerry S.