2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 9:35 AM by John Burrill

Defining and adding relation to STEP File

Scott Lafortune

Hi,

I just got a STEP file of PCB made in Altium and they want me to convert it into Drawing. I've imported it into SW2013 no problem and saved it as Part. That is all nice but when I open up the sketch nothing is defined and I have a trouble defining it. I cannot add relations, I cannot measure diameters nor lines, I cannot do nothing.

Anybody had similar experience or I am just trying to do something that is impossible?

• Re: Defining and adding relation to STEP File
          Lenny Bucholz

create a full defined sketch.

full defined sketch.jpg

Creating Fully Defined Sketches

To fully define a sketch:

1. Edit a sketch. fully_define_sketch01.gif
          2. Click Fully Define Sketch (Dimensions/Relations toolbar) or Tools > Dimensions > Fully Define Sketch.
          3. Set the options for relations and dimensions in the Fully Define Sketch PropertyManager.
          4. Click PM_OK.gif. fully_define_sketch02.gif

• Re: Defining and adding relation to STEP File
            John Burrill

Scott, I imported your step file.  It produced and assembly with one part that looks like a board outline with mounting holes.

The imported goemetry consists of a dumb solid bodies not features and sketches.  That's what you get from a step import.

Even so, you can still insert the assembly into a drawng and add dimensions to it.

If you want to modify the board, first you really need to talk to your Altium people about your process because they're the ones who are going to generate the gerber files that are used for manufacturing, so any changes you make-they have to be able to import them back into the ECAD environment.

In your part model, you can use FeatureWorks to convert the imported bodies into SolidWorks features that you can edit.  FEatureworks is included with SolidWorks Professional.  However, I recommend that you look into using IDF files with CircuitWorks (included with SolidWorks Premium) to import and update your models.  It's designed around a workflow that makes it easy to pass data back and forth while maintaining the references between the PCB solid model and the assembly where it's placed.  There are a couple of tutorials for circuitworks, so make sure you go through those before you commit to using the add-on.

Good hunting

John