8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 8:10 AM by Pete Yodis

BOMs as separate files in EPDM

Pete Yodis

Does anyone create and manage BOM's in EPDM as separate files?  It seems to me like this would be a really clean way for an engineering department to manage thier BOM's.  I'm thinking the BOM's could be excel files...

• Re: BOMs as separate files in EPDM
          Jeff Sweeney

Named BOMs? Oh yeah! They rock!

Named BOMs beat Excel files becuase you can compare one version to another easily.

Pete Yodis

Jeff,

We have a ton of AutoCAD files, as well as SolidWorks drawings.  We even still have scanned hand drawings as well...  I assume Named Boms would work for those too?  I am not studied up on BOMs.  We skipped that part in Admin Training because we didn't think it was going to apply b/c it may be biting off more than we can chew.  Now we are fielding quesitons of the nature as ... Can we (enineering department) manage the BOMs in EPDM and have them pushed to what will be a new ERP system (Epicor 9)?  Also, can we import BOMs into EPDM as named BOMs, or does all that have to be done manually?  I assume there is no BOM importation tool.  I will go learn up on Named BOMs now...

Pete Yodis

Thinking through this a bit... We have a lot of BOMs that don't have a corresponding engineering document (top level configured items).  How would you handle that in EPDM?  The BOM's in EPDM seem to be document related.  This may be why creating a separate document would be necessary.

Jeff Sweeney

If you go with the named BOM concept, just add the record to the BOM. You can edit named BOMs almost as freely as a spreadsheet.

You certainly could use virtual documents and paste them as reference if you wanted these document-less files to be treated more like a traditional file.

Tim Webb

Second to Jeff's suggestion. This approach is a solid way to handle BOMs

Pete Yodis

Jeff and Tim,

Thanks for the input.  We are going to stay away from putting our BOMs into EPDM.  We will leave this all in ERP, as it currently is.  This is just biting off more than we can chew and something that doesn't seem to benefit us enough after discussions with our group implementing EPDM.  I am glad there is not a mandate to do this as it takes a lot off of my plate.  We were asked to look at it to see what it would entail.  We are not yet happy with the ERP tool we will be migrating to next summer as we desire our design engineering department to control the BOMs.  Manufacturign engineering needs to control certain elements of that information.  Right now, it seems as if control is all or nothing in Epicor 9.  There hasn't been a way to split the responsibilities cleanly and not allow other departments to change data out of their realm.  The thought experiment here was to see if the BOM data could be managed in EPDM and just passed to Epicor 9.  In this setup EPDM would be the domain of the design engineering department where control of the BOMs would only be for design engineering.  ERP BOM information would then be controled by Manufacturing Engineering.