7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2016 1:28 PM by Jack Meher

Display weight units in drawing title block?

Brad Hakeman

We created a new title block, and are trying to automate filling out the the information as much as we can.  One question that came up was weight.  I was able to link the property "mass" which shows up just fine in the drawing, but there are not units shown. 

I found a 'trick' to just add LBS after the custom property which works for Standard units, but is there a way to automate adding the units without having to enter it into the custom property tab builder?

Units.JPG

Thanks,

Brad

• Re: Display weight units in drawing title block?
          Glenn Schroeder

How about creating a custom property (maybe "Weight Units") for your model?  You could enter  LBS, KGS, etc. in the model, then link the title block note to this property.

Deepak Gupta

Same suggestion as Glenn but just a different way. Create part templates based on the units and have the property of Unit added to them (KGS, LBS, etc.). Now based on the part units, select the part template and drawing would populate the required information.

David Anderson

is there a way to "grab" the weight unit setting of the part and update the title block for the unit.  it would be nice to simply have the part unit displayed in the title block.

for example, when using metric parts and title blocks, its sometime convenient to use kg while other times its convenient to use gm.

thanks!

David Anderson

this is what I did...

I used property tab builder and added added 3 radio buttons.

Radio 1 = KG

Radio 2 = GM

Radio 3 = LB

The name of the radio button property is WEIGHTUNIT.

I have a part and an assembly templates for both English (set to LB) and metric (set to KG.)

in the English part and assembly templates I have the radio button default to Radio 3.

In the metric part and assembly templates I have the radio button default to Radio 1

Suppose I could have used a list as well.

I have the following sheet drawing templates

English C Sheet 1

English C Sheet 2

English D Sheet 1

English D Sheet 2

Metric C Sheet 1

Metric C Sheet 2

Metric D Sheet 1

Metric D Sheet 2

For each sheet, instead of having a static "KG" or "LB" for the unit, I linked it to the custom property $PRPSHEET:"WEIGHTUNIT" Now when the parts are inserted in to the sheet, the weight unit will match the setting in the part or assy. this is OK BUT I would rather be able to grab the solidworks unit setting and use that instead. is there a SW variable for unit such as there is for mass or filename etc?

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Add the weight units property to your part & assembly templates and add $PRPSHEET:prop_name to your drawing template.

See attached image.

For ours, the "weight" property is the SW-Mass and the "Mass" property is the mass units. (I know they're backwards, but it was this way when I started.)

Cheers,

Kevin

Jack Meher

so for this to work are you using the syntax --> "$PSPSHEET:SW-Mass $PSPSHEET:Mass_name"

/\                               /\

ll                                ll

Value                           Units

what is the correct syntax in full to get the value and the unit

John Stoltzfus

From this...

To This

Thanks for bringing this post back up