8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 3:10 PM by Andi H

Ideal part thickness

Andi H

Question for you guys. I was thinking of having casted or 3d printed a helmet I did a while back. I dont know material yet bronze or aluminum or cast steel. Im sending it to shapeways. This is was modeled on real life dimensions 80% of male head lengd width and depth. The currect thickness is an offset of 2mm. Is that enough? or should I go 3 or 4mm? what would be ideal thickness for this kind of stuff?

illyrian.9.jpg

illyrian.17.jpg

Capture.JPG

• Re: Ideal part thickness
          Joe Kuzich

Hi Andi,

I don't know what you would need for 3d printing to make it stable, so i'm not much help.  But it got me wondering what the thickness was for the real helmets, and I was surprised by how thin they are.

I did a quick search and although I didn't come up with anything specific for the Albanian helmet you modeled I did find a discussion of Roman helmets.  Per that discussion it sounds like it would probably somewhere in the .8 - 1.5 mm range.  I would think that there would be a high level of variation, even out side that type of range, given the skill of each individual metal smith and even given the way the metal pulls & stretches within a single piece.

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/17-roman-military-history-a-archaeology/283717-weight-and-thickness-of-original-roman-helmets.html

Please let us know what you come up with and post some pics if you have it made.

Andi H

I know this about the helmet. This is Illyrian style helmet/ Albanian in orign these types of helmets are among the most ancient in Europe date back 900 BCE propably even further back inot the Bronze age. Specifically these helmets originated in Illyrian region modern Day Croatia Bosnian region Adrea tribe. The helmets were casted in bronze they serve to protect from sword blows arrows spears and anything sharp that would hit you in the head. These were predecesors to all other helmets thracian even the Greek ones. Trojans Mycenean period saw helmets similiart to no. 1 in the picture. I wanted to get it as close to the original as possible so I am not sure I just measured by eye and common sense. Would 1.5mm thickness withstand a sword blow to the head without cracking or opening? I will try to figure out for sure the real thickness of this type of helmet and see what shapeways says if they can cast it or not and how much they would charge.

illyrianhelmets1.JPG

Andi H

Ok I wanted to share shapeway sprices 2mm thickness lulz probably I will do it in polished bronze when I have excees money lying around. 500-800 I would do it but this is close to 2k

prices.JPG

plastic.JPG

Andi H

I though Shape ways had their own facilities. But this should be cheaper cut out the middle man. Hopefully its around 1k or little less. thanks for the info its good know ther eis ExOne