5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2013 5:11 AM by Fred Crickmore

Extruding from scanned line drawing

Fred Crickmore

I am new to SolidWorks, so please excuse what I am sure is a very simplistic question. I am attempting to extrude from a scanned diagram. A simple component comprises three lines forming the three sides of a rectangle - the fourth line is a curve. Thus the overall shape approximates to the cross-sectional outline of a railway carriage.

I am using Adobe Illustrator to do a live trace on this line drawing (after cleaning up the scan). This generates the vector outline in the form of three splines. I'm exporting from AI in .dwg format and then am inserting this into SolidWorks (option under Object).

When I attempt to extrude the process fails. Is there something I should be doing before selecting Extrude?

I am new to SolidWorks, so please excuse what I am sure is a very simplistic question. I am attempting to extrude from a scanned diagram. A simple component comprises three lines forming the three sides of a rectangle - the fourth line is a curve. Thus the overall shape approximates to the cross-sectional outline of a railway carriage.

I am using Adobe Illustrator to do a live trace on this line drawing (after cleaning up the scan). This generates the vector outline in the form of three splines. I'm exporting from AI in .dwg format and then am inserting this into SolidWorks (option under Object).

When I attempt to extrude the process fails. Is there something I should be doing before selecting Extrude?

• Re: Extruding from scanned line drawing
          Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Fred.

You should be able to open the DWG file directly in SW instead of importing and into a part or drawing environment (you'll be prompted for that when you open the DWG file). After that you should be able to extrude them.

If you still see the error then while in sketch mode go to Tools > Sketch Tools and click on Check Sketch for feature. Pick the extrude feature from the pop up window and SW will find the issue for you. What I feel is that there is some extra tiny line somewhere.

If still the error is there then post your file here.

Please use "advanced editor" in case you want to attach any files.Click on reply and then click "use advanced editor".

Editor.png

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference.

Fred Crickmore

Many thanks for your helpful reply. I followed through with the suggestions that you made. When I attempt to extrude the outline I receive a message indicating 'the sketch contains an open contour'. I then followed through with your suggestion of making use of the 'check sketch for feature' option. When I come to the small 'repair sketch' window, it indicates 'no problem found'.

I notice that when I select 'extrude' a FAINT tick appears in the small box located to the left of 'thin feature' on the RHS of the screen. I cannot remove this tick - and as indicated, it is only quite faint, which is presumably indicating that the thin feature is the only extrude option that is possible with this sketch. I suppose this makes sense if the sketch contains an open contour.

I've been through the process quite a number of times to try to make sense of what's happening - I'm sure that it's something really obvious that I'm missing.

I've reduced my input diagram to something that is very simple in order to try to sort out the difficulty. Attached is the .dwg file that I generated using live trace in AI, and also the very simple test scan that I used as the input to AI. Very many thanks if you're able to help with this.

Mark Biasotti

Hi Fred,

Have you tried to open the Illustrator file (.ai) directly into SolidWorks?  What version of SW do you have?

(there were changes made to this functionality in 2010)  If you do this you can open the Illustrator file direclty into a sketch.

Regards

Mark