4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 3:17 AM by Liviu Cseki

Replace link

Liviu Cseki

Hello guys,

First, I want to describe a situation and then I want to ask the question.

A designer/engineer designes a the bumper of a car. The design is very complex and precise and must be followed entirely. Then, another engineer takes the design (surface or solid) and builds the ribs, assembly features, etc. In the meantime, the designer receives some new information and modifies the design and sends the file to the other engineer. The second engineer worked with the first design 160 hours to transform the designer's dream into a manufacturable part. And at this point he needs to replace the design in his work.

This situation, what I described above, is what it happens in real life. And, in two of the CAD softwares I worked in, there is a function that allowes you to replace features, as the design. You just point to a new file and manually (if it doesn't work automatically) repair/replace the broken features.

Is this possible in Solidworks 2013 too or  you have to spend another 160 hours working on completelly rebuilding the bumper?

I asked this question to a helpdesk in Germany, where I work, and I keep being passed over to other guys that try to answer this question. Please help! I have a similar situation, but at a smaller skale.

Thanks for the feedback.

Have a nice day.

• Re: Replace link
          Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Liviu.

The way I think this can be done in two ways.

1 Both of them work on the same file. This can be controlled better using a PDM system. There is also an option of multi-user enviorment in SolidWorks.

2 If above is not possible, then second engineer should insert the file from first engineer into a new part file and continue his work. Now when the first engineer changes the file, he can send it over to the second engineer and his files will get updated. There may be some broken references which can be fixed.

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference.

Liviu Cseki

Thank you Deepak Gupta for the feedback. However, I think your answer would make more sense for a more experienced user than myself. I have only 6 months experience with SW and I am still struggling with its limitations, compared to the other softwares I worked with.

Anyway, I managed to receive an answer from the helpdesk. They said that if I want to use references from other parts I should save the parents as Parasolid and then import it into my parts. This means that the link does not exist anymore, but it still is better than nothing.

If you know a better solution that is also stable I would be very glad to hear it.

Thank you.

Deepak Gupta

Liviu Cseki wrote:

They said that if I want to use references from other parts I should save the parents as Parasolid and then import it into my parts.

This is what I've suggested in my option 2 but instead of saving as parasolid, you can insert part(s) directly into a part.

Even if you want to insert the parasolid into your files, you can still update them for any changes made in the files.

1. Let's says there is a file named A.
                  2. Engineer 1 saved A as parasolid B and sent to Engineer 2.
                  3. Engineer 2 imported parasolid B and made a new file C.
                  4. Now Engineer 1 modified A and again saved the file as parasolid B.
                  5. Engineer 2 recived the modified file B.
                  6. Now to get the changes in his file C, he need to click on the "Imported feature" in file and select edit feature.
                  7. Now he needs to select the updated parasolid file B and hit OK.
                  8. File C will be updated with the changes made in A.
                  9. There may be some broken references which can be fixed.

If you need I can make one example and send you.

Liviu Cseki

This is exactly what I tested this morning, and it seems to be working fine.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on the matter. I still need to get used with SWs way of working and to stop comparing it to other softwares.