15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2006 5:15 PM by John Burrill

Sketch Points

Andrew Carter
      Try creating a point coincident on the end of a line...

"Sketch points cannot be created at the same location as an existing point."

WHY???! It seems like a really pointless limitation (forgive the pun) and daft having to create the point off in space then drag it onto the endpoint.

• Sketch Points
          SolidWorks Corp
          Can I ask why you want a sketch point at the end point of a line when you already have a point there (vertex)? What are you needing a sketch point for that the endpoint doesn't satisfy?

Mark

SolidWorks
            • Sketch Points
              Jason Capriotti
              I use it quite often for Hole Wizard sketch points. I sketch reference geometry to located the holes then add sketch points (Same deal with a sketch driven pattern). You have to workaround it by placing the points in space, then manually adding the coincident relation between the point and the line endpoint.

Would be a nice limitation to remove.
              • Sketch Points
                Matt Lombard
                Hole wizard, sketch driven patterns, plus, to turn the question around, why would you want to intentionally limit that?

At least they finally removed the bug/limitation where if you had previously selected the midpoint in a sketch line, you could not create a new sketch point there either.
                • Sketch Points
                  John Burrill
                  Yeah, I got to echo on this one just to drive the numbers up and hopefully provide some incentive for the developers to alleviate this little bit of congestion. I need to put sketch points on endpoints for holewizard (and sketch patter) locations
                  • Sketch Points
                    Andrew Carter
                    I have been out of this forum for a couple of days and missed all the excitement.

In reply to Mark @ SolidWorks and akin to most of the other replies I often do this for holewizard locations.
                  • Sketch Points
                    Steve Hutchison
                    I have read this thread through twice and must be missing something. I find the hole wizard will use endpoints of a line to locate holes (I think Mark from SW was pointing this out). I don't need to drag a point there.

Say you sketch and dimension a rectangle on a face of a part. The four vertices of the rectangle can be used to locate holes for the hole wizard.

• Sketch Points
                        Bruce Cox
                        Steve: I can place a point on an endpoint in a different sketch... but not on an endpoint in the same sketch.

Hey if you're all going to bark for hole Wiz improvements then... WOOF WOOF.

And while we're at it how about the cursor automatically picking up the first point placed! The one that appears where you preselect the face before launching HoleWiz. So often I forget about using that point and get an extra hole that I find 4 days later.
                          • Sketch Points
                            Anna Wood
                            Bruce,

I agree with you on that one. It is so annoying having to find that first point and move it (or forget about it and have to go back to deal with it). Either don't place the point or make sure it stays attached to the cursor so I can place it where I really want it.

Bruce Cox wrote:

And while we're at it how about the cursor automatically picking up the first point placed! The one that appears where you preselect the face before launching HoleWiz. So often I forget about using that point and get an extra hole that I find 4 days later.

Regards,

• Sketch Points
                            John Burrill
                            can you post a simple part file where you've been able to use the vertices of a sketch segment to define hole wizard or sketch pattern locations? -Because I just tried it to make sure and it wouldn't do it.
                            (2007 SP2.0 and writing TrustedDWG counterfeits for kicks)
                          • Sketch Points
                            Steve Hutchison
                            What I did was to sketch and dimension the rectangle. I then exited the sketch, fired up the hole wizard and used the four corners of the rectangle to locate the holes. There are no sketch points in the part other than what is generated by the hole wizard. The hole wizard does place a point when you insert the hole. That is the point you can move around to relocate the hole if need be.

For fun - open the part again and roll back the last feature so Sketch2 is the last resolved feature. There are no sketch points there. Only the construction lines forming the rectangle.

Or . . . I am totally misunderstanding the subject of this thread. What I understood was that people were complaining about having to place a sketch point at the end of a sketch line to locate a hole wizard hole. The example part demonstrates that adding the sketch point is unnecessary in that case.

• Sketch Points
                                John Burrill
                                OK, I got what you're getting at.
                                Here's what you said:
                                I find the hole wizard will use endpoints of a line to locate holes (I think Mark from SW was pointing this out). I don't need to drag a point there.
                                Say you sketch and dimension a rectangle on a face of a part. The four vertices of the rectangle can be used to locate holes for the hole wizard.

I took your statement to mean you found a way to make the holewizard use sketch segment endpoints instead of sketch points in the holewizard sketch.
                                And I think the ERwas to be able to place sketch points on the endpoints of sketch segments within the current sketch because currently you either have to create an external sketch to get this functionality, or place your sketch points in an empty area and then drag them back to the segment end points.
                                We're tripping up over words like point, locate and use.