14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 2:36 PM by Jeremy Feist

Versionless state

Pete Yodis

Is there a way to not have versions created for files in the vault?  In WorkGroup they had a "Working Copy" function that was essentially an overwrite of what was currently in the vault.  A similar function in EPDM would be nice for more early concept work where a lot of changes may be happening and racking up un-necessary versions.  We could call our state "WIP".  Is it possible for documents in "WIP" not to have more than one version created?  The vault under "WIP" would act more like a network share then, rather than a versioning system.  This would encourage users to work in the vault sooner rather than later.

• Re: Versionless state
          Wayne Matus

The only way I can think of would be to setup two vaults, one for WIP and other for Production. Do your R&D in the WIP vault. When reaqy for production, move the files to the Production vault and then destroy all the versions in the WIP vault for files moved.

Pete Yodis

hmmm.  Kind of what I expected to hear, but not what I like.  I really don't want to manage another "Production" vault.  Does this seem like a valid enhancement request (for designated states to be versionless)?

Wayne Matus

The issue you would run into would be that users could have different variations of the same version of a file in their local view.

Jeremy Feist

you seem overly concerned about the number of version. also in such a "versionless" state, you would loose all of the previous concepts you had developed. I would not vote for this as an enhancement.

Pete Yodis

I am trying to nail down when our users will put things in the vault.  There are plenty of times when we are in more of a conceptual point where we may have as many as 5-10 different product layouts as far as how we might decide to do something.  This seems natural in product concepting/development.  The layout of the product may drive decisions about the product, an iterative thing.  I am also coming from PDMWorks WorkGroup where there was a "Working Copy" function and also an ability to overwrite files in the vault (this was not turned on, but did come in handy a few times with user misteps).  And yes, I am a little bit concerned about tons of versions of large files getting created.

Joy Garon

Hi Pete - Unfortunately not. There is no feature that is similar to Working Copy. The way it works is, anytime the modifiied date is changed on a file, it is versioned on checkin. Regards, Joy

Pete Yodis

Thanks for the answer Joy.  Do you see any value in having the choice to overwrite a version even if the modified data is different?  Users could still get an indication if their modified dates are different between the local cache and the vault, even if the version number is the same.  This would allow a type of 1 version state that I mentioned.  I am trying to think of a downside other than overwriting work, but that would be the direct intent here...

Larry Zolla

Hi Pete,

Just want to mention this in case it might be worth something to you.

When you used working copy in Workgroup, you would be overwriting the previous copy and when ready you would check in at a new Revision

Now in EPDM, you are sending in  new copies (versions) with each check in,  and  using change state to a new Revision as desired.

You may be wondering about all the intermediate version copies that have accumulated.

So; ou may want to review and test what you can do with a Cold Storage Schema to delete the sudo working copies.

Make a test vault, and create a new Cold Storage Schema.

Under “Cold Storage Method”  choose  “Delete Archive  files”

Under “Versions” put a check mark in “Never move versions with revisions to cold storage”

Also set the “Number of versions to keep per archive”

This will let you keep say the last:  3, 10 or whatever suits your organization.

In the GUI you can also be selective of the folders to which this Schema will apply and you can set the time Interval for this to happen

Regards,

Larry Z