7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 11:19 AM by Jared Conway

How to prevent the "Creation of deformed body failed" error?

ST Udent

Hi all,

I'm trying to do some fluid-structure coupled analysis using Solidworks Simulation and Flow Simulation. To do so, I need to be able to save the deformed body resulting from the simulation to use it in Flow Simulation. However, when I try to do so I get the error: "Unable to sew faces together. Creation of deformed body failed." Does someone know how to fix this?

Are there some general rules to which the geometry must hold in order to be able to save the deformed body?

Thanks and regards,

• Re: How to prevent the "Creation of deformed body failed" error?
          Jared Conway

i think there are a couple of articles about this in the solidworks kb

but most commonly the problems that i've sene with this:

1. mesh too coarse or mesh too fine

2. the loading conditions creates a lot of deformation which makes it difficult to sew them together

3. soft springs or similar enabled to run the analysis. result is bad results. which makes it impossible to sew together.

i would make sure your model can export with a simple gravity load and fixture. and then go from there.

ST Udent

Hi Jared,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried your suggestions but this didn't result in a deformed body which I was able to save.

I don't get why it is so difficult for solidworks to do so. It has calculated the position of each node in the mesh, so, in my opinion, it should be possible to at least save the mesh of the deformed body?

Regards,

Jared Conway

you certainly could use the list results tool, export the x,y,z displacements, transpose them from their initial locations and then import as a txt file the points and build a surface on them from scan to 3d.

just for reference, this functionality works almost every time and those that it hasn't have been very rare cases with complex geometry. the other times usually didn't work on the first shot because of a bad setup. you may want to connect with your reseller on this before you give up on it. or post the model here and have someone else try it.

ST Udent

Hi Jared,

Thanks again for your reply. I also think the error is caused by a bad setup (as I'm new to SolidWorks). However, I cannot find the cause of it.

I've added the files to my starting post to provide some more information. I must admit the simulation provides a 'Large Displacement' error, nevertheless the results are very realistic (in my opinion).

Please notify me if I should change anything in the setup!

Thanks and regards,

Jared Conway

you're expecting 9mm of displacement?

have you looked in the forum about the large displacement error and the usual need for nonlinear analysis to complete the analysis? this problem solves with the small displacement solution but fails in large displacement option in the properties. as i mentioned, one of the cases where i've seen this export deformed solid fail is this specific one.

ST Udent

I did take a look in the forum (and other sources) about the large displacement error, but I accepted the error as it provides the results I expected. I do expect a displacement of 9 mm, furthermore the stresses acting on the leaflets are corresponding with the stresses I've seen in literature.

I'm running a non linear study now, I'll report the results here when it is completed.

Update: The nonlinear study just finished. I get the same results as with the linear study only without the large displacement error. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the 'Creation of deformed body failed. Unable to sew the faces together' error.

Maybe it is important to mention that in the linear study with only very small loads applied (so no large displacement error) the creation of the deformed body failed. I also noticed that when I exclude one particular leaflet from the study, for small loads the creation of the deformed body succeeds.

I'll keep trying and will keep you posted on the progress.