1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 1:41 PM by Jared Conway

Is it possible to do Axisymmetric model in Flow Simulation 2013?

Alex Kramer

I would like to save computation time by using an axisymmetric 2D computational domain instead of a 1/4 pie shaped 3D computational domain. Seems like there should be a way to do this but I'm not seeing it, the only choices are 3D, and 2D with symmetry but no axial symmetry as an option.

A screenshot of my geometry is attached (sectioned). It is a valve seat simulation, flow is from top to bottom. The valve seat itself is a tight clearance which requires a small mesh and results in long computation time.

Thanks

Alex

• Re: Is it possible to do Axisymmetric model in Flow Simulation 2013?
          Jared Conway

currently listed as an enhancement

533206 Ability to support Rotational Symmetry for Flow Simulation (axi-symmetric axisymmetric 2D 3D )

from a "full supported" method, i would go with a quarter symmetry problem.

then you could check a slice by applying some kind of ideal wall at the cut planes (Where there would normally be fluid).

or with a quarter model, i think 2d could work but you have to deal with the cut boundary.

my suggestion, do some testing with a a full, half, quarter, slice and 2d and compare to make sure your method works.