3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2013 1:40 AM by Jared Conway

(FEA) Chassis tubes issue when meshing

Sky Squillace

I'm in need of a solution when working on FEA for a spaceframe chassis. The issue is with the frame wherever there are either beams too small or they are perpendicular to eachother like show in the following images that don't want to mesh at all, just disappear. Most of my model will mesh without issue and run, just parts of it disappear. I have tried a combine on the parts that are highlighted in blue but they still seem to give issues when meshing by disappearing. Any info is much appreciated!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/fcqk.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/9f2u.png/

• Re: (FEA) Chassis tubes issue when meshing
          Jared Conway

they should be separate entities. remembe that solidworks simulation is extracting the weldment properties to generate a beam element. so having them merged doesn't help it.

i'd look back at how those features were created. potentially delete and remodel them in a different way to see if the beam are picked up by solidworks simulation.

• Re: (FEA) Chassis tubes issue when meshing
              Sky Squillace

Thanks for the response Jared. I tried what you are saying before combining them, but I ran into another issue where the small horizontal Members could not be considered as beams since i believe it says something like "members under 10 inches cannot be conisdered beams". Also tried "treat as solid" on those small horizontal tabs but when i do that and run the simulation, they are the only members to show up on the von mises stress plot. Tried doing multiple ways including setting contact sets for how the longer bars attach to the small horizontal tabs but to no considerable improvement. Have deleted and rebuilt those bars many time to see it was the copes/ (trim-extends) but they are all correct.