5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2014 9:49 AM by Brian McEwen

Searching EPDM for value not equal to ....

Alan Powell Davies

Hi,

We would like to be able to exclude files with specific extensions or workflow states from some of our EPDM searches, without affecting the users rights to view those files.

We have had limited success using the 'Text Does Not Contain' option in a variable search.  But it appears you cannot set a default for this on a search card!

Also this does not allow you to search special variables such as workflow state names and files names, unless they have been copied to a standard card variable.

Does anyone know of a way to exclude workflow states or extensions from a search, as default?

Thanks,

Alan PD

• Re: Searching EPDM for value not equal to ....
          Charley Saint

Alan,

Sounds like you should save the criteria as a favorite. Just fire up your search and fill in all the criteria, then click add to favorites:

2013-10-14_0947.png

Then just select the groups you want to share the favorite with. If you pick the "May Edit" box the user will be able to enter more information in the search card before running it, if you don't then the search will run with the default criteria and they won't get a choice.

2013-10-14_0948.png

Alan Powell Davies

Thanks Charley,

How do you create criteria for searching file extensions and workflow states in the first place?

Charley Saint

Alan,

Extension is pretty easy, just use a space seperated list in the name field, ex. *.sldprt *.sldasm *.slddrw

State is much more difficult, you'll need to setup a transition action to write the state name to a variable on the datacard for each transition to a state you want to search on. Then use that as your search criteria as there is no way to search on multiple states all at once.

Alan Powell Davies

Thanks Charley,

I think you have answered my question.  Unfortunately it is not the answer I wanted.

To exclude 1 three character extension, without introducing the possibility excluding anything else, you would need to list over 17 thousand extensions.  This is impractical so you have to accept that your search may not bring back the results you want.  However this may be splitting hairs and I am sure a compromise could be reached.

Also I do not like the principle of creating a variables to replicate data already in the system.  As well as creating extra work for the SQL server and wasting space it introduces the possibly that the card value will drop out of sync with the value it is supposed to be replicating.

But until the search cards are improved, I guess we will have to live with these workarounds.