7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 12:30 PM by Devon Lybbert

link cutlist to custom property

Bob Gratton

I do a lot of assembly of sheet metal.  In my BOM I need to use the cutlist ( width, lenght..) information without have 2 lines for each part ( making by the indented option ) .

I see only 2 way. First, use the INdented option and delete each Part Only line. The second way, by copying the cutlist property a want to the part custom property and use the PART ONLY bom.

I prefer the second way to reduse the risk on error.

My question is, there is a way to link the cutlist pproperty to the model custom properrty in a way that is updated when the value change??

I know how to make macro to make what i want, but  i have to run my macro each time.

I see a video  with MACRO FEATURE can make this, but a don't know how to upgrade my macro to a macro feature.

Did some one have a tutorial???  A macro feature is the same thing of a Custom feature??

• Re: link cutlist to custom property
          Keith Rice

Bob,

You could use a macro feature or you could use an equation-triggered macro if you want code to run on every rebuild (or whenever some other event occurs---as long as a delegate exists for that event in swAppNotify_e., swPartNotify_e, swDrawingNotify_e, etc). I would recommend an ETM. Macro features are difficult to implement and maintain, and I would only recommend them when you need a custom feature to add to your feature tree.

Keith

SolidWorks API Tutorials

Bob Gratton

Thank Keith

It work more than i expect.    When i quit the Equation Manager, it give me a syntax error, but all work fine.

The exemple in the link do the same thing, so, i don't worry about it.

Bob Gratton

Hi Keith

It' s  wierd.   My equation triggered macro work just the first time a making it.   Yesterday i re-work on my project and the Macro did't work.

I notice that in the exemple giving in the equation-triggered macro the EVALUATES TO is 1, and in my part is nothing.   Also now, when I import the equation #1   my Solidworks crash but not with the equation #3.  I just try to import equation #2 without having the macro in the Design Binder and no problem

equation #1    : "Var2"= 1::swApp.RunAttachedMacro "CutList_to_prop.swp" , "mMain" , "main"

equation #2    : "Var4"= 1::swApp.RunAttachedMacro "rename bodies.swp" , "mMain" , "main"

equation #3    : "Var3"= "1::swApp.RunAttachedMacro" "CutList_to_prop.swp" , "mMain" , "main"

I don't understand because i change nothing in on my computer.

Please, Can you help on that ???

this is my code:

Sub main()

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim longstatus As Long, longwarnings As Long
                Dim thisFeat As SldWorks.Feature
                Dim thisSubFeat As SldWorks.Feature
                Dim custPropMgr As SldWorks.CustomPropertyManager
                Dim retValue As Integer
                Dim retDescription As String
                Dim retDescription1 As String
                Dim retLENGTH As String
                Dim retLENGTH1 As String
                Dim retWidth As String
                Dim retWidth1 As String
                Dim retSheet As String
                Dim retSheet1 As String
                Dim names As Variant
                Dim cutListFolder As SldWorks.BodyFolder
                Dim boolstatus As Boolean
                Dim value As Integer

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks
                Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set thisFeat = Application.SldWorks.ActiveDoc.FeatureByName("Solid Bodies")
                Set cutListFolder = thisFeat.GetSpecificFeature2

Debug.Print cutListFolder.SetAutomaticCutList(True)

If Not cutListFolder Is Nothing And cutListFolder.UpdateCutList Then
                    Debug.Print "Updated"

Set thisSubFeat = thisFeat.GetFirstSubFeature

Do While Not thisSubFeat Is Nothing

If thisSubFeat.GetTypeName = "CutListFolder" Then Set cutListFolder = thisSubFeat.GetSpecificFeature2

If Not cutListFolder Is Nothing And cutListFolder.GetBodyCount > 0 Then

Set custPropMgr = thisSubFeat.CustomPropertyManager
                                  names = custPropMgr.GetNames

If UBound(Filter(names, "Bends")) > -1 Then

boolstatus = custPropMgr.Get4("Bounding Box Width", True, retWidth, retWidth1)
                                            boolstatus = custPropMgr.Get4("Bounding Box Length", True, retLENGTH, retLENGTH1)

bRet = swModel.DeleteCustomInfo2("", "Long")
                                            pbRet = swModel.AddCustomInfo3("", "Long", swCustomInfoText, retLENGTH1)

bRet = swModel.DeleteCustomInfo2("", "Larg")
                                            pbRet = swModel.AddCustomInfo3("", "Larg", swCustomInfoText, retWidth1)
                                   End If

If UBound(Filter(names, "ANGLE1")) > -1 Then

boolstatus = custPropMgr.Get4("LENGTH", True, retLENGTH, retLENGTH1)
                                                bRet = swModel.DeleteCustomInfo2("", "Long")
                                                pbRet = swModel.AddCustomInfo3("", "Long", swCustomInfoText, retLENGTH1)
                                                bRet = swModel.DeleteCustomInfo2("", "Larg")
                                      End If
                                End If

Set thisSubFeat = thisSubFeat.GetNextSubFeature
                        Loop

End If

End Sub

Devon Lybbert

This discussion should give you a very good start:

Macro to Extract from Cutlist Item 1 and place in Custom Properties

This is using a macro, but the macro will run on each rebuild.