1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 1:14 PM by Luke Heckrodt

Sheet Metal Bend Allowance Type not changing correctly

Luke Heckrodt

I am finding that parts created with Solidworks 2013 or Solidworks 2014 seem to not update their BendAllowanceType when it is changed in code. The BendAllowanceType can be changed in the Sheet-Metal feature by selecting either Bend Table, K-Factor, Bend Allowance, etc in the drop down menu in the Edit Feature pane. The BendAllowanceType changes when changed in code for parts created in older versions of Solidworks.

The difference I see between previous parts and parts created with Solidworks>2012 is that there is an additional child Sheet-Metal item under the Sheet-Metal feature in the feature tree.

Here is my code that changes the BendAllowanceType in older versions of Solidworks, but not in newer versions.

Dim swModel As ModelDoc2 = Iswapp.IActiveDoc

swModel.DeleteBendTable()      'Delete old bend table so the new one is loaded from the xls file - this changes the BendAllowanceType back to k-factor which is not what we want

model = swModel

Dim bendTable As String = "C:\BendTable.xls"

Dim smFeatData As SheetMetalFeatureData

Dim featName As String

Dim swCustBendAllow As CustomBendAllowance

For Each swFeat As Feature In model.FeatureManager.GetFeatures(True)

featName = swFeat.GetTypeName()

If featName = "SheetMetal" Then

'Insert bend table - do not want k-factor

smFeatData = swFeat.GetDefinition

'trying this out to see if it works. Doesn't work with new parts but works with old parts

smFeatData.AccessSelections(swModel, Nothing)

swCustBendAllow = smFeatData.GetCustomBendAllowance

swCustBendAllow.Type = swBendAllowanceTypes_e.swBendAllowanceBendTable ' changes the Type to a 1 which looks correct but the Sheet-Metal feature does not change in the bend allowance section

smFeatData.SetCustomBendAllowance(swCustBendAllow)

swFeat.ModifyDefinition(smFeatData, swModel, Nothing)

'Old method which only works with parts created with sw<2013 where the sheetmetal feature does not have a subfeature

smFeatData.BendAllowanceType = swBendAllowanceTypes_e.swBendAllowanceBendTable

smFeatData.BendTableFile = bendTable

swFeat.IModifyDefinition2(smFeatData, model, Nothing)

End If

Next

I have been struggling with this for over a year and figured it would be fixed in Solidworks 2014 but it has not been.

Thank you, Luke

Here is the bend allowance asetting that goes back to k-factor when the above code is run for a part created in sw2013 or sw2014.

editFeature.jpg

Here's the feature tree for a part created in sw2012. Notice that there is no sheet-metal feature under the sheet-metal feature.

sw2012part-no subFeature.jpg

Here's the feature tree for a part created in sw2014. Notice that there is a sheet-metal feature under the sheet-metal feature. I'm not sure if this is what is causing the issue, but it's the only difference I see. I tried going to the firstchild after getting to the sheetmetal feature but it returned Nothing.

sw2014part-subFeature.jpg

• Re: Sheet Metal Bend Allowance Type not changing correctly
          Luke Heckrodt

I would like to add some additional comments on things I have been trying to get around this issue.

I found that if I do not delete the current bend table by calling swModel.DeleteBendTable() then the Bend Allowance type does not change back to K-Factor.

When I change to a K-Factor in code, and then back to the bend table, this appears to reload the bend table (the xls file opens and I see the spreadsheet being read), but then the new values in the updated bend table still aren't used.

Dim swModel As ModelDoc2 = Iswapp.IActiveDoc

Dim bendTable As String = "C:\BendTable.xls"

Dim smFeatData As SheetMetalFeatureData

Dim swCustBendAllow As CustomBendAllowance

Dim featName As String

For Each swFeat As Feature In model.FeatureManager.GetFeatures(True)

featName = swFeat.GetTypeName()

If featName = "SheetMetal" Then

'First change to k-factor - need to do this step to get it to re-load the bend table without calling delete beforehand

'(delete changed the selection in the feature tree to k-factor), but changing below does not change it in the Feature Tree

smFeatData.AccessSelections(swModel, Nothing)

swCustBendAllow = smFeatData.GetCustomBendAllowance

swCustBendAllow.Type = swBendAllowanceTypes_e.swBendAllowanceKFactor ' change to k-factor

smFeatData.SetCustomBendAllowance(swCustBendAllow)

swFeat.ModifyDefinition(smFeatData, swModel, Nothing)

'Must do this to get it to reload the bend table.

smFeatData.BendAllowanceType = swBendAllowanceTypes_e.swBendAllowanceBendTable

swFeat.IModifyDefinition2(smFeatData, model, Nothing) ' looks like it re-loads the bend table here - excel files opens in SW

End If

Next

The above code appears to re-load the bend table, but unfortunately the new values in the bend table are not used when the drawing is re-created and the dimensions are checked at bend locations. The bend dimensions are still using the old bend table values. Whatn else should I do?

Thanks again for the support,

Luke