2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2013 2:12 PM by Jared Conway

Working process to welded frame analyses

Andrew Tf

Hi, recently I have been beginning designing support frames for small things like tables and such. I have tried to use the study advisor to get my simulation going but without result. I think that is because of wrong work flow. What i do now is design the frame, add few weldments in the form of gaussed/filled bead and then try to push it through the simulation.

Here is my problem:

1. Probably wrong work process

2. Non-success simulation due to multiple errors when i try to simulate my frame.

Question:

1. What would be a good working process? (drawing>weldments>simulation?)

I have tried to look for tutorials and other things regarding this problem but most of weldment tutorials focus on adding structual members from the sketch and then stop. I have a hard time finding a tutorial or directions of how to actually "connect" all the structure member together so i can do some analyses with the complete frame. A sample of what kind of frames im doing is in the figure below:

frame.jpg

Thanks in advanced

• Re: Working process to welded frame analyses
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Andrew,

Welcome to the forum.  I'm afraid I don't know anything about simulation, but I wanted to let you know you might have a better chance of getting help with your question if you move the discussion to the Simulation section of the forum.  No need to start a new one, just click on "Move discussion" in the Actions box at top right.

Also, since you're a new forum member, you might want to check this discussion:  https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/39793.  It has some information to help you get the most out of it.

move discussion.png

• Re: Working process to welded frame analyses
            Jared Conway

If you are using the advisor, it sounds like you are using full simulation vs sim xpress. So with the addin enabled and a part open, you should have access to more tutorials. Some on weldments and beams.

If you are new to simulation, I would recommend taking a simulation class with your reseller. If that isn't convenient, at hawk ridges we offer online classes sim and also classes where we focus on your problem.

I would also suggest starting a little smaller. Just get a cantilever beam to work. Then add another member...and so on.

I suspect part of the problem is that you're trying to get all the welds and trims into the model. With weldments/beam analysis, you don't include them. If you want that, you'll go with solids.