10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 10:59 AM by Derek Parks

3DVia, INDD and EPS files

Charlotte Niebuhr

I'm having issues importing EPS files created in 3DVia into Indesign CS5. I receive the following error message. What would cause this error?

• Re: 3DVia, INDD and EPS files
          Derek Parks

I get this every so often also. I am not sure what causes it but since I don't get it often I usually just change the eps to pdf and import that file. I have tested file size and different settings and it just seems to do it whenever it wants to. I am sure there is a trigger but I have yet to figure it out. I would be curious to know also just for ease of updating purposes.

Derek

Charlotte Niebuhr

The PDFs I've created from this drawing aren't high enough quality to print. I've played with the PDF settings and haven't gotten one yet that will print very well. I tried a JPG as well and those were pixellated and "dirty."

Perhaps that's the question I should have asked first--surely 3DVIA can produce a clean image that will print well at 8.5x11??

I've returned to creating PDFs of my parts diagrams in SW even though annotating them to my company's standard is more of a headache.

Derek Parks

Don't export as a PDF. If you are needing a technical drawing export as a eps them convert to PDF with another program for your indesign issue. As far as nose hidef jpg I normally set my export to twice the size then when it is smaller it looks better.  Play with the settings I can get just as good JPEG from Composer as Solidworks. Not referring to Photoview export in Solidworks that is unachievable in Composer. If you need any further clarification I can help more tomorrow as I am on my cell right now

Derek

Charlotte Niebuhr

What are you using to convert to PDF? I don't have AI but I have broached the issue of buying it.

I tried making a HUGE jpg and it still looked terrible. There must be some options I am not using correctly.

I appreciate your help. Anything you can send me, whether it's tomorrow or later, is great. I'm new to 3DVIA but not SW or IND, but I still feel a bit in the dark with it.    

Derek Parks

Make sure you check anti aliasing when making your hi res image and that will smooth your edges more. To convert your eps without AI just right click your eps and open in adobe and save as a PDF.  This should allow you to put in indesign.

Derek Parks

If you need any further help on any of the previous explanations just let me know. I will have access to my computer today so may be easier for me to explain in more detail or give you screen shots etc.

Derek

Charlotte Niebuhr

I did check the anti-aliasing option. It helped some, but I still didn't like the look of the drawing. My annotations looked the worst. I can attach an image if you'd like to see.

I only have Reader, not Acrobat, and it won't allow me to open the EPS.

We really need the full creative suite. We may not continue with 3DVIA/Composer. They sold it as a great tool for producing manuals, but I think it's better for digital material than printed--unless there's something huge I'm missing.

We may do some training. It would be nice but I don't know if or when right now.

Derek Parks

Sure go ahead and post your image so I can have a look. If your in a crunch feel free to attach your eps and I can convert them for you.

I can tell you I couldn't live without Composer now and its workflow with indesign and the ease of updating models is well worth it. I can produce manuals and animations in half the time with Composer as with just using Solidworks and indesign. I would definetly do the 3 day training class in your area to get a good start. If you have no training and are mainly a Solidworks user for your graphic design it may take a bit to take off your CAD hat to adjust. Of course as any program it is limited and wont do everything but for technical documents and videos I can;t get better. Attach or post whatever you like and I can see if I can help you out some more,

Derek

Charlotte Niebuhr

I need to get this manual printed today, and after that I'll put up the files.

What is it about the Composer generated EPS that won't flow into Ind?

I definitely see how Composer will be awesome for my maintenance and safety pages, and general equipment info. It's the parts pages I'm struggling with. Maybe the answer is to continue doing those in SW and use Composer for the rest of my manual images.

Derek Parks

I am not sure without seeing exampls but I use it for most of my graphics unless its photo realistic. Also it shouldn't be all of your eps files. I only run into it every so often. Maybe 1 out of 100 or so files.

I have never worried about it since it is so few but if it is happeining to you a lot I would call your VAR and have them make sure you are doing everything correctly or if its just a bug in your system.

I prefer it because Composer updates directly from Solidworks and then my Indesign updates automatically using the new eps created from the updated file.

When you attach some images or files attach a example parts page if you can and I can try and explain how best to achieve it or if it really isnt possible let you know that also.