1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 11:04 AM by Jerry Steiger

SW crashes/freezes when part becomes too complex

Emanuel Eni

Hi there,

I'm running SW2013 on a dell latitude 6530 and I have problems with SW.

When I start creating a part, SW is very snappy, but as the part get more complex it start to hang, and eventually freezes for ever (left it more than 6 hours on a thicken surface with 2mm and merge).

This is the second time this happened. I'm a begginer, so my skill aren't the best, and I'm sure what I designed could of been done faster and more efficienctly, but I stil can't accept this.

i've run SW Rx and I got all 0.0sec so I think my system is decent, but I can't explain why this happens. I have the lastest drivers. I have also dissabled all the power saving features for the laptop. I have set up the graphical card for performace, dissabled Hyperthreading (was a sugestion around here) and also tried the dell ultra power settings with no results. Also I can see SW performing worst when software openGL is enables. I have tried to tweak the perfomances in SW, since I only want to create a part, not to have a fancy rendering of it.

Can anyone help me? Unfortunatly this is an educational instalation so the license is managed by the Uni, and aparently we haven't got the support feature.

I have also attached the systeminfo and performance test (i removed my license number for safety).

I can't attacked the part, but here is a link from my dropbox in case someone want to give it a try and see if it's only me

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3g7w58ktngnslxs/Part1.SLDPRT

• Re: SW crashes/freezes when part becomes too complex
          Jerry Steiger

Emanuel,

I'm no expert in hardware, but I suspect that your graphics chip may be part of your problem. The Nvidia NVS series are not good for 3D modeling. It's possible that you might get better performance out of the integrated HD4000 graphics. I don't know how to switch between the two.

I've used Dell Latitude laptops with crappy graphics chips on business trips without any great problems, but I normally am just reviewing assemblies and parts, not actually designing. I don't believe any of them had the NVS chip.

Other than buying the wrong computer for the job, you seem to be doing the right things to get the best performance out of it.

I noticed that you had an awful lot of Delete Faces and Thickens in your feature tree. You might want to run Feature Statistics on your part. My experience is that Delete Faces can be real time hogs. Reducing the number of Thickens by Knitting before Thickening may help. There may be an easier way to do what you are trying to do.

Jerry S.