6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2018 10:11 PM by Allan Smithee

Displacment at given point

Daniel Kitts

I am trying to determine the deformation/displacement of a given point in my model.  I've tried using the "Probe" tool to select a point on the deformed model (after simulation is run) and comparing that coordinate to the same point on the model before analysis.  However, I do not think that it is giving me the correct displacment value since the location of the deformed point does not change with other load cases.

If I wanted to determine the x, y, and z displacement of a given point, line, plane, etc., after load cases and deformation is calculated, how would I go about doing that?  I need to know deformation at specific locations, I am not interested in the maximum value for the entire model.

• Re: Displacment at given point
          Chris Michalski

Look into adding sensors.  You define these at a given point, then you can track the sensor and it will tell you the location of that node of the mesh.

Daniel Kitts

Obviously I'm not doing this correctly since I'm getting values that make no sense.

I created a reference axis at the point where I wish to measure displacement and I added a 3 sensors at this location based on this reference geometry to measure Displacment in X, Displacement in Y, and Displacment in Z. 

Ref Axis.png

After the study runs, I get the displacements for each of these sensors as follows:

X: Displacement1 (0.1886 in)

Y: Displacement2 (0.00580376 in)

Z: Displacement3 (0.00630914 in)

However, when I look at the solution plot for URES, my maximum displacement, which occurs at this exact same point, is determined to be 0.7092 in.  How do I get the x, y, and z components of this displacment value? The values determined from the sensors are completely different.

If I use a sensor at this location to measure the Resultant Displacment, I get the same value of 0.0792.

Resultant: Displacement4 (0.709187 in)

Ref Axis2.png

Daniel Kitts

The reason Solidworks was giving values that did not correspond to the x, y, and z displacements of the Resultant Displacment value was an error in how the sensor was set up.  In the "Properties" section of the Sensor edit panel, the default "Model Max" was selected, and therefore was providing the maximum displacement of the model and not the maximum displacement at the sensor location.

Under Sensor < Properties, the drop down menu for Criterion has the option of "Max over Selected Entities" which allows a specific point, line, axis, etc. to be selected.  For each sensor, if the vertex where the displacment is to be measured is selected, then the sensor will provide the value of displacement at this vertex:

Displacement loc1.png

Displacement loc2.png

The number to the right of "Value : xxxxxxx" under Sensor Type will provide the displacment magnitude at this location for the specific sensor.

Jared Conway

if you are plotting resultant displacement and probing the point, your output is the resultant displacement from where it was. if you output x,y,z displacements and then add to the initial location, you get the final location. basically the same thing you're doing with the sensor. a sensor is just an extension of the probe functionality.