Richard Sommer

Computer suggestion request

Discussion created by Richard Sommer on Dec 4, 2006
Latest reply on Dec 13, 2006 by Anna Wood
Greetings,

I am currently in the market for a new computer to run SolidWorks2007 sp2.0. My current setup is dog slow with even small to medium size assemblies and models. Current computer is:

Compaq Evo D310v with a Pentium 4, 1.80 GHz
1 GB RAM
3DLabs Wildcat VP560 video card

I have had this set up for quite a while and it has done fine, albeit getting slower with each upgrade in SolidWorks. With the upgrade to 2007, it is just to slow to be efficient. Besides SolidWorks, I use the standard Windows software package (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) as well as AutoCAD, at times. The OS is Windows XP version 2002 SP 2.0. I have maybe $3500 to spend.

I have not been able to keep up with general computer information, so any thoughts you may have would be most appreciated.

Some of my questions would be is a 64 bit system necessary or is 32 bit sufficient?
What Intel processor would work best, Pentium, Xeon, Duo Core? I don't even know the difference at this point in time.
Specific graphics card suggestions? I know the SolidWorks website has a long list of passing cards, but I don't have the background to know which would work with what system.
I am working on a network, but all of my models and software are local and saved to the network at the end of the day. Thank you in advance for your input.

Outcomes