3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 8:35 AM by Pete Yodis

SkyDrive

Pete Yodis

Anyone consider making EPDM local cache part of SkyDrive?  Some pretty cool stuff going on here.

http://blogs.windows.com/skydrive/b/skydrive/archive/2013/09/30/skydrive-introduces-smart-files-in-windows-8-1.aspx

Beside all the ramifications of putting stuff up on cloud servers... could EPDM effectively operate in conjunction with SkyDrive this way.  This would enable work from home scenarios after office hours in a way that is seamless.  When a user gets back to the office, the local cache is already up to date with changes done at home on a different computer.  I am wondering if this would mess up EPDM in some way, though.. I don't think so, unless I don't understand EPDM and the cache correctly.

• Re: SkyDrive
          Adrian Velazquez

Wow so much potential!  I love SkyDrive used all day long for work, personal and school File Management: Online, on Windows, Windows Phone, ,Mac and iOS.

The issue I see is that both SkyDrive, and EPDM  files are accessed thru client browsers (on the PC), there would need to be a separate client that has functionality for both applications, no?

Pete Yodis

Adrian,

SkyDrive works natively in Windows in the full client of SkyDrive.  The modern SkyDrive is web client based.  The full client of SkyDrive in Windows 8 runs in desktop mode, and the files are actually cached locally as well as residing in the cloud.  Modern version of SkyDrive is lightweight (made for Windows RT and Windows Phone) and does not cache files locally (permanently).  Since Full or Desktop version of SkyDrive seems like its so baked into Windows explorer, I am guessing it wouldn't be a problem.  Also, if it worked.. the extra bonus is you would have cloud backup of your local cache... for free.  People that purchase a Surface 2 in the next period of time can also get 200 GB of SkyDrive space thrown in with a Microsoft Surface 2 (Pro would be needed).  That's a pretty nice incentive...

Pete

Pete Yodis

Thinking about SkyDrive some more... this seems to be similar to how EPDM is functioning with the server and local cache.  SkyDrive (and other cloud storage services) seem to be a more automatic and dumbed down version of the EPDM system and others like it (Adept, DBWorks,...).  EDPM server is like the cloud and local cache shows you what's up there and is also the place where you bring files down to the local cache to work on it.  Now SkyDrive will automatically sync a saved local document back up to the cloud, so that it is immediately available on another device.  EPDM requires a check-in to create at least a version so that it is available to another user (device)... which is good for engineering doc control...  Also, EDPM understands and manages CAD file references.