8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2018 3:30 PM by Rekha Rajendran

EPDM with Inventor

Raphael Nonnenmacher

Hello,

I have EPDM with Solidworks, but we work also Inventor. I tried to install EPDM with Inventor 2013, but the toolsbar does not appear.

• Re: EPDM with Inventor
          Jeroen Buring

hi Raphael,

Did you ask your VAR for the best practise document for epdm and inventor? This might help additionally check for the compatibility matrix of your epdm version and your inventor version....

Tedd McHenry

When you install EPDM you have to check the "Inventor Add-in" check box, which comes up part way through the installation process.

Tedd McHenry

Incidentally, I would love to get a forum started for people who use Inventor with EPDM.  Anybody know how to do that?  There doesn't seem to be any mechanism on this site for making suggestions.

I expect there aren't all that many of us who use Inventor with EPDM, but that's exactly the reason such a forum would be so useful.  I feel like I'm blazing a trail with not much assistance.  Even our EPDM reseller, who is otherwise excellent, has only limited experience with Inventor.  And, of course, our Inventor reseller doesn't know anything about EPDM.

Mike Sveda

I use Inventor with EPDM.  It's clunky.   The .ipj project files are a PITA. I hate those stupid project files.  EPDM seems to always say they are outside EPDM. 

Inventor drawings, you have to re-type data to the data card.  They don't pull data like Solidworks does.

You should always use Inventor 1 year behind the current Solidworks EPDM.

Tedd McHenry

You can get EPDM to populate data card values in the IDW data cards.  Our IDW data cards automatically take Part Number, Description, and a few other variables from the referenced part or assembly file.

I agree with you about the project files.  When we started with EPDM our reseller advised us that we could simply not use project files.  Unfortunately, because we are still in a transition phase and have to mix in-vault files with not-in-vault files, it seems we don't have a choice.  We have settled on a standard project file that everyone in the company uses, and that seems to work pretty well.  But I agree that it's clunky. 

It has never been clear to me what problem Autodesk was trying to solve when they designed the project file system.  It seems to create more problems than it solves.

Rekha Rajendran

Hello Tedd

We use a similar approach of using a standard project file used by everyone for almost every project. This is creating multiple problems for us now. Since a single project file is referenced by thousands of CAD files, any interaction with the CAD files in EPDM is really slow.

I have a couple of questions: 

1. Do you have your standard project file inside or outside the EPDM vault?

2. We have ours inside the vault, and we are thinking of deleting it from the vault (which takes a few days) and moving it to outside the vault. Is that a good/bad idea?

Thanks

Rekha.

Tedd McHenry

Rekha:

I'm sorry for the slow response, I've been off the forum for a while.

I'm no longer working for the company with the Inventor/EPDM implementation. My recollection is that we had the project file inside the vault, but I'm not 100 percent sure about that. We had multiple sites sharing the same (cloud based) vault, so it would make sense for the project file to be in the vault. I can't remember if we experimented with having it outside the vault.

Tedd

Rekha Rajendran

Thanks for replying Tedd.

After testing a couple of times in the test vaults, we went ahead and deleted the standard project file (.ipj) from the root vault and created a new project file one folder above outside the vault in production. This was done in Jan 2018, so far nothing seems broken and we observe that some operations with the CAD files are faster than before even now.

Of course, we were consulting our VAR throughout the testing and implementation, whenever we needed help and clarifications.

Thanks

Rekha.