10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 3:17 PM by Dan Hamilton

logitech g600 mmo gaming-mouse, Programmable?

Andrew Martin

Is anyone using a logitech g600 mmo gaming-mouse with SolidWorks, I'm wondering if the programmable keys are recognized by SW and if you've been able to assign functions to them.

Mouse seen here:

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g600-mmo-gaming-mouse

Thanks!

• Re: logitech g600 mmo gaming-mouse, Programmable?
          Josh Brady

I'm about 99.375% sure that they would work with SolidWorks.

I'm pretty sure no program will recognize the buttons natively as buttons. You definitely won't be able to map "Cut-Extrude" directly to "G15" on the mouse.  However, you can map most SolidWorks commands (like Cut-Extrude) to hotkeys (like Ctrl+Alt+Shift-C).  Then you can set up the Logitech software such that hitting "G15" sends Ctrl+Alt+Shift-C.

Elias Chavez

Hi, I have to edit my previous post to this thread that was marked as correct.

The

Logitech Gaming Mouse G300 with Nine Programmable Controls

mouse is programmable but after being using it from a long time I would limit its use since it is not ergonomical

and since its is a gaming mouse it is small and looks like it is designed for a small hand. I would look for a bigger and ergonomical

programmable mouse.

The software that comes w/ it is great to program shortcuts for different applicationsLogitech Gaming Mouse G300 with Nine Programmable Controls.PNG.

Larry Walsh

Years ago I purchased two G300's (one for work, one for home), and found it great for solidworks, as well as other day-to-day computer operation (having copy/paste, enter, delete and others right on the mouse was quite ideal!).

I recently bought a G13 gamepad for work, and ended up switching to a G600 mouse for work and home.

Positives of this setup:

the G600 has 12 buttons on the side, operating in 5 modes, letting you put SIXTY functions under your thumb. Takes a lot of getting used to, and a lot of memory use to try to recall what's mapped where, but it's a LOT of power.

The G600 and G13 both get programmed by the same software - you can make macros and assign them to either device, as well as have them interact with eachother. You could, for example, have the mouse's switch functions button assigned to the gamepad, so pressing a button with your left hand would modify the mouse under your right (if you want that sort of thing).

Each device has remarkable versatility and together there's a mindboggling array of options. You just have to fingure out all the functions you want to use, set up a keyboard shortcut for every one of this functions within solidworks, then figure out a logical series of keymaps to put them all together, i.e., figure out which functions should be mapped to which keys in which modes. Time consuming but well worth the time investment.

Downsides:

The G600's physical form was not well designed, ergonomically - it's a little awkward to hold. Most specifically, there's no good spot to put your right thumb as you're manouvering the mouse around, so you'll either have to hold it against the side buttons and hope you don't accidentally click stuff you don't want to click, or hold your thumb under the buttons on a little ridge that sticks out at the bottom - probably not designed for a thumb grip, but it's what I use. Useable but not particularly comfortable. I usually have a groove indented into my thumb now.

The G600's Midle Mouse Button (wheel) is... well... stupid. In solidworks, when you double click the MMB, you issue a Fit to View command, and holding the MMB lets you rotate your part. With the G600, holding the MMB first issues a double-click command, so you'll ALWAYS zoom to fit when you start rotating your part. Ths means if you're zoomed in and want to rotate your part a bit to get a better look at another zone, you'll zoom out. Every. Friggin'. Time. This probably doesn't sound nearly as annoying as the reality of it is. I thought this was a defective wheel switch at first, but when I bought a second mouse so I could have one at home, it's got the same flaw. The only solution I found was to put the MMB function on another key - then it works as normal, but unfortunately now the rotate function isn't where years of solidworks experience has drilled it into me that I should find it.

Koko Katanjian

I do a ton of gaming of many types, and have a gaming mouse for each game i frequent, so ill do a quick review geared towards solidworks for ya

i'm using the same mouse, or otherwise i'm using a razer ouroboros, naga , or my RAT 9. (yeah i dabble a bit in gaming)

all of their programmable keys i use frequently with solidworks, but i do that only through macros with the macro software that comes with my razer mice called synapse, but i haven't played with the logitech gaming software as it is kinda my least used mouse, but i do use it for solidworks, and the only benefit that i've found is the infinate scrolling. macros have never really been logitech's strongsuit, but i also look at everything from a gaming standpoint.

RAZER MICE:

i am totally going to agree with the guy that said the logitech is small and odd, and i would much rather use my razer mice, but at the same time they are about $100 more expensive than the logitech. the one i use for solidworks is my naga. the buttons on the left side for your thumb make things sooo easy to controll small things, but i had to set up the macros in synapse (razer software) and i will say that synapse is  POS codewise.

sure it looks nice and does what it needs, but it does it at its own convenience. very rarely but seemingly at the worst times, my macros will cut out.

another thing to think about with razer mice is the friction. if you go from using a regular old desk mouse to using a razer, it will take a couple weeks to get used to the lack of friction. You could curl this thing on sandpaper.

RAT 9:

expensive, but feels nice, not as good with macros. overall for gaming though its a 100, and comfortable as all get out, as every panel is adjustable, and keeps your thumbs and pink off the table, just like the ouroboros.

OVERALL FAVORITE MOUSE TO USE WITH SOLIDWORKS:

goes to the naga. has the most buttons to work with macrowise and is a TRUE mmo gaming mouse. the g600 is hardly a gaming mouse. logitech only calls it a gaming mouse because it has lights and a few programmable keys on it. no performance on it whatsoever. So if i were looking for a gaming mouse solely for solidworks and other things, i'd get the naga hands down.

Koko Katanjian

to answer your question without a review though.

no it is not. solidworks is not an mmorpg or fps so you cannot.

you have to program your keys through macros, and logitech is bad with macros.

get a razer if you want to hotkey litterally anything to anything (except mouse 1)

here is a peak of razer synapse that i have setup on my ouroboros, and how you can bind anything to any key on the mouse:

165692db2c0b655fb0947f878f2562ad.png

any of those tabs around the mouse can be clicked on to adjust what you want it to do

7b25deb2a554a1ff7eb48ac914e0fb7c.png

and it does anything and everything. for what you are wanting to do you would set up a macro, and bind that key to a macro, and select how it would be played once pressed. here is an example of a "copypaste" macro setup.

e4cf0b4fd603689015ac0c9fa129e914.gif

here i hit the record button, and on my keyboard (doesn't have to be razer) you see the inputs being recorded on that menu in the middle.

from there you bind it to the macro button that you see on image 2 then you're done.

so get a razer for that stuff. logitech in my opinion as a true gamer, animator, and designer, is purely to get something cheaper that looks good to save money.

go all out bro, razer all the way.

Larry Walsh

I've got about 150 Solidworks commands mapped to my G13 and G600 - you can map to a key any function that Solidworks will let you make a keyboard shortcut for, and I think that's around 1000 commands available.

The ourobouros's software you showed looks like it's pretty much got all the same features that the logitech software has (except for the 'windows charms' - what are those?) The logitech devices also have the ability to use media player functions (next track, pause, volume up and down, etc), launch the Windows calculator, Show desktop, single keystroke, multi-key combinations, macros, large text blocks (handy if you frequently have to add a selection of notes to drawings), all mouse function including mode-shift keys, the standard windows shortcuts (copy, paste, undo, redo, etc), shortcuts to ther executables, so you can launch other programs with a button, and so on. Fairly versatile.

Capture.PNG

Koko Katanjian

The windows charms are for every windows 8 shortcut, that way you can map your mouse to do anything windows 8 allows it to. this way it acts like a windows 8 mouse such as the arc, or the wedge. and because both of those are useless pieces of dookey, windows has outputs for all of those key mappings for software like synapse to do what it can do.

as a person who's on windows 8 at work, at home, and on my tablet (surface pro 2) it is incredibly useful to have.

Elias Chavez

Given the ergonomic issues w/ gaming devices I prefer a programmable keyboard that you can set different layers for each of your applications each layer contains its own macros assigned to a single key, leaving one layer for a normal function of the keyboard.

Koko Katanjian

it really all depends on what you do the most, and what you're used to. i've been doing PC gaming for around 12 years now, and just a year ago upgraded to better mouse and keyboard and all that. the transition from regular desk office mouse to a friction-less performance mouse is definately a big change to get used to, but if you're going for ergonomics, the RAT 9 and the ouroboros have adjustable panels that adjust to the size and shape of your hand.

Dan Hamilton

I use a G502 with SolidWorks, and the Logitech Gaming Software is super easy to use. As long as you can program a command to a keyboard shortcut, you can program that keystroke to the mouse. I have had issues in the last few days with the software not recognizing that Solidworks is the active window and so switches to the default profile, but when it does it works great.