8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 12:54 AM by Rico van Niekerk

auto saved files

Craig Campbell

I linked a child to a parent part but it was the wrong one and it all wacky for some reason. And apparently the link affects all the views and i saved it before i noticed that all the views got messed up.

Are there auto saved files anywhere that i could open and see if i don't have to fix all the views?

• Re: auto saved files
          Derek Parks

Far as I know there isn't any auto save that I have ever encountered. With the ease of updating Composer allows you should be able to fix the issue and just update all your views. Can you explain what you did exactly? Are you using the kinematic links? If so you can delete links and update all your views at once.

Craig Campbell

yeah i used the kinematic link. when i clicked it i clicked the wrong part and it moved it and changed the color idk why i didn't undo before i save. But how do i delete the link? when ever i try it just changes the color back. and all the view are messed up still.

Derek Parks

Ok just select the two parts (parent and child) then under kinematics delete the link. Once that is done select the part that moved and restore its neutral position under the transform tab. This should get you back in this one view. After that select the part that moved again and update all your views with only that part selected. This should get you back to original start.

Sorry but on phone replying otherwise I could attach screen shots. Let me know how this works and I can try some other options with screenshots in the morning.

Derek

Craig Campbell

No its not working. when i select the two parts and remove the link it changes the color to a third color now  (color of the part even before it was in the assembly in solidworks) and it moves it but not in the right place when i hit restore to neutral position.

Derek Parks

Craig,

OK..I did everything you explained this morning when I got into work. I was able to restore all my properties and get all my test views back to normal even after a save, close, and reopen. This being said what you are describing is very abnormal. Your parts should not change colors, your neutral position should never change unless you set it as so. If you would like to try attaching your file I can have a look for you. If for some reason you can't attach your file I would suggest calling your VAR so they can take a look. If all you did was kinematics links you shouldn't be experiencing any of what you described.

Derek

Rico van Niekerk

Craig

Just for interest sake, there is an automatic save function which you could set up to save in a selected folder and at certain time intervals.

This could be helpful and save you alot of rework time. You can find it under file-preferences under the general tab.

Hope it helps

Rico van Niekerk

As far as i know, by default it saves to a folder on the C:\users______\documents\solidworksComposer\user\bak.