My company is on the verge of implementing a comprehensive solution for managing metadata in solidworks.
Currently we're dealing with multiple sources of data that are all attached either to the drawing/model, or standalone in our PDM system (ePDM):
- Custom properties in the drawing
- Custom properties in the model
- Variables in ePDM:
- Some are a reflection of the custom properties
- Some are unique in ePDM
- Various hidden attributes in the model (we use those as a custom solution because the custom properties have a maximum length and cannot have a tree structure)
- Various data that is printed directly on the drawing:
- Solidworks BOM table
- Company's custom Root-Chart table
- Company's custom ECO table
As you can see, this is a source of a big headache for us- a true DATA SYNCHRONIZATION HELL
I wonder if other (preferably large) organizations are dealing successfully with this problem, and what is the best practice.
Just to be clear, my demands from the desirable solution are:
- Number of data sources should be kept to minimum
- Drawing/Model loading time should be kept to minimum
- Data synchronization would be relatively easy
- Printed data (directly on the drawing, like tables) should be reflected from a well managed data source
Your help is kindly appreciated!