11 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2007 7:36 PM by Vince Adams

geostar forum?

genexxer genexxer
      I use geostar, I know ...why? Well...there is the old black box FEA vs hand mesh old school new school thing.

But I don't need help there. I just export from cwx to geostar. I need help with a variety of pre and post processing issues in geostar (mostly astar).
        • geostar forum?
          SolidWorks Corp
          There is currently a COSMOS/M forum on Topica:

http://lists.topica.com/lists/cosmosfea

This will be merged into this Forum in the near future.

-- Vince
            • geostar forum?
              John S.
              We use Geostar.  I hope that someday,soon, the Geostarcapabilities would be implemented into the COSMOSworks environment. 

Curious,

1.) Why doesn't Solidworks maintain it's own Geostar forum insteadof merging anothers?  

2.)  Seems to me Solidworks doesn't do much in the way ofadvertising the Geostar.  It's almost as if it's kept inthe closet.  Yes, it's very complicated but it is prettypowerful in composites.  I never see it in the compositesmagazines.  Why is that?  

3.)  Why aren't there textbooks on learning the Geostar? The tutorial gives you some good ideas on how to get startedand run it, but hardly scratches the surface.  I will say, theguys in tech support are super.  I've learned more from themthan the tutorial.

Would like to see more Geostar stuff.  I'm still learningit.
              Thanks.
              John
                • geostar forum?
                  genexxer genexxer
                  John,
                  I am well acquainted with an individual that has taken Geostar to great heights. He "embeds" geostar programming in his case tool for audio applications. Since it is so open this is possible. Cosmos works is totally closed and no hope of ever using it in a wider case tool is ever anticipated. take a look at

http://www.cosmosm.com/pages/successes/consumer11.html to see a short success story about this guy.
                    • geostar forum?
                      John S.
                      Hi,

One of our consultants uses the Geostar and his report happens tobe on the cosmosM web page.  That's how we came to know theGeostar.

Regarding "CosmosWorks being totally closed and no hope in awider case tool is ever anticipated";  What do you mean? Why do you say that?

I was just  informed Friday from Cosmos/M and Solidworksthat they are planning to take the Geostar functions for compositesand implement them into the CosmosWorks.  As for a date when,that's unknown and TBD.  I now recall a couple of the tech.support guys had informed me 07-08 was a possible target. Hmmmm?!?!?!? 

I would think they would in order to try and keep up with andcompete with ieNastran.

• geostar forum?
                          genexxer genexxer

My experience trying to automate the things I do in cosmos/works is akin to semiannually walking up to a brink's truck and trying the latch - for years. The obvious conclusion is "not going to happen", probably indefinetely. Development's plan is that some limited api may come soon. But it will be buggy and incomplete, at least at first, just as the solidworks api was and still is. Making function calls into cosmosworks that support greater aims such as building royalty free case tools and calculators is a total pipe dream.
                            • geostar forum?
                              John S.
                              At the moment, most of my issue is with the local rep. When theyhad sold us the Cosmos Adv. Pro., I found out on the day oftraining, they weren't even certified to support or train theproduct which was quite different as to the way it was presented. I question how it is they could sell something theycouldn't train or support?
                              I tell ya, I can't help but to feel there was some deceitperpetrated for profit.  Pretty much all my efforts for anykind of help have been in vain.  
                              Our needs have not been met, it's been costly, a waist of timeand It's been rather disappointing.
                              The tech support is the only thing that's been great.

I will say I think I'm beginning to agree with you.  In theend, I guess I'll believe when I see it.

Until then, I am in contact with ieNastran for our FEA needs and amvery interested.

I love the Solidworks! so I will be hanging on tothat.

Thanks for your input and experience regarding the Geostar. It's greatly appreciated.

Take care.
                                • geostar forum?
                                  SolidWorks Corp
                                  Hi John, I'm sorry to hear about your support problems. Can you send an e-mail directly to me with more specifics? I'll see if there's anything I can do to get you the help you need.

Thanks!!!
                                    • geostar forum?
                                      John S.
                                      Can any one from Cosmos/Solidworks answer please?

When will the Geostar features be implemented into the CosmosWorksfor composites? (Filament winding and multi-layered laminates)

Why hasn't this been implemented already?

TIA
                                      John

• geostar forum?
                                          genexxer genexxer
                                          John,
                                          Signs that say "The line forms to the left" or "Please take a number" come to mind. Dynamics would be on the top of my list right now out of geostar. User specified material damping instead of material damping ratio while there at it.
                                          Kevin
                                            • geostar forum?
                                              Vince Adams
                                              Hi guys, some SolidWorks people been locked out of the forum due to growing pains but we're getting that straightened out finally. I would encourage you both (John & Genexxer) to sign up to the Beta program to see what made it into 2008. We would like to hear your thoughts on this implementation.

All I can tell you is that we are balancing resources against functionality enhancements and improvements. As I'm sure you deal with in your companies, we'd like to do it all NOW but we have to prioritize. Working as a customer and consultant for nearly half my career until last year, I understand what you are asking for. We are trying and if you want to contact me offline, I might be able to shed a little more light on specific questions. My e-mail address is below.

Vince

PS. The Topica list is alive and well. With the Forum issues I mentioned at the beginning here, migration of this has been post-poned. That forum has a pretty regular following so I'd encourage you to join in. One of the reasons we will merge it is that many questions there are either about COSMOSWorks or are relevant to COSMOSWorks users too so it is better to have more people in the discussion than less.
                            • geostar forum?
                              genexxer genexxer
                              Oh and about support...Compensation for support people just isn't competitive enough to attract the few folks who have the learning required to become lucid with FEA. So mostly its kids with BS degrees who can model well enough to crack open the cosmos book and do the demo problems until they have them memorized. Then they are put in front of prospects, do the dance, shut off the machine and leave. They slowly become good by learning from customers. Interpreting natural phenomenon into boundary conditions correctly in FEA is elusive without a strong grasp of the fundamentals. Most undergrads don't have it.