3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 10:25 AM by Thomas Horst

How to archive files, not versions

Thomas Horst

I want to make a bunch of old files in the vault as obsolete, not delete them as they must be retained for archival purposes, but I don't want them showing up in searches or when viewing folders.

I see that the vault supports archiving old versions of parts, or old revisions, but I want to do whole parts, not just revisions of certain parts.

Is there a way to do this, where I can just say, select a part and say "move to cold storage" or something?

Thanks,

Thomas

• Re: How to archive files, not versions
          Charley Saint

Thomas,

You can move files to a folder that other users don't have permissions to see. But most people create an Obsolete state in the workflow and send old files to that state. You need to make sure users don't have read rights and turn on the "Ignore permissions in previous states" flag and they will disappear for everyone.

Pete Yodis

I personally like the first recomendation to move the file to a folder that other users don't have permissions to see.  It seems much more clean to me and straight forward.  Workflows can have ramifications later down the road if you want to change them.  Once a document passes through a state, that state could never be deleted unless all documents that have ever cycled through that state are deleted first.  Tread with caution.  That's why I like the folder method.  There are less ramifications later if need be... much more flexible IMHO.  We do this now in WorkGroup PDM and are planning the same in EPDM.  We call the folder "Archive".

Thomas Horst

Thanks for the tips. That's a good thing to know about workflow states... We have not fully implemented that yet, so it will be good to keep in mind while setting things up. The folder solution does seem like a better answer to me.