14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 7:42 PM by Andrew Miller

SW2013 So Slow

David Tiefenbrunn

I've looked around a bit with the search thing....

I recently did upgrade[?] to SW 2013.  Had to build a new PC, learn a new OS....  And in the end, it's noticeable slower every time I edit anything.  Rebuild times. 

It's ridiculous.  I went from a 32 bit core2 duo 2GB XP machine to a 64 bit i5 8GB WIN7.  Had to get a newer graphics card too.  Everything else is faster.

• Re: SW2013 So Slow
          Anna Wood

Can you give us complete info on your system specs of the old and new computers?

What is slower in SolidWorks over your old system?

What version of SolidWorks did you upgrade from?

What type of work do you do?

Cheers,

Anna

David Tiefenbrunn

High power mode set.

Old PC:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz

2.00GB RAM

500GB HD - mostly [over 80%] free space. 

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500

Win XP SP3 32 bit

Solidworks 2012

New PC:

Intel Core i5 4430 @ 3.00GHz

8.00GB RAM

500GB HD - mostly [over 75%] free space.

NVIDIA Quadro 2000D

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Solidworks 2013

Most noticeable things - rebuild after changing anything in a feature or sketch is very slow.

Save is very much slower also.

All data files are on our server, both with the old setup and the new.

I'll see if the high power mode setting changes anything soon.

Thank you,

Dave

Anna Wood

Make sure your system is not using the onboard video and is using the Quadro gpu.

Do you have an approved video card driver installed?

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/videocardtesting.html

Be sure to have your Windows power settings toggled on High Performance.

Be sure that you have a Windows Aero Desktop Theme enabled.

Do you have Verification on Rebuild toggled on?  If you do toggle it off.  Tools > Options > System Options > Performance

Saves being slow to your network is likely a network issue not SolidWorks.  What virus scanners are your it guys running?  Are the scanning every thing that moves across the network?

What are the hard drive rpm's both old and new system?  Hopefully at least 7200 rpm.

Cheers,

Anna

David Tiefenbrunn

Video driver version:   9.18.13.2086  That's the latest one I got from NVIDIA.

The first driver I tried was one of the 2 choices from the Solidworks link for Graphics Card Drivers [see above post]  It actually worked worse.  Not much difference with the rebuild time and all that, but it was grainy and slow when turning  / positioning the model with the 3D mouse.  This whole thing has been the upgrade from hell... 

I ended up having to return the first graphics card we got - an NVIDIA Quadro K2000D - because it doesn't have any way to drive my 2 big analog monitors at 1600x1200.  A new flatscreen with as much vertical height and resoloution would cost around $1000.00 AND I'd have less width than I do with the 2 I have now.   And that's just not in the budget.  The slowness was the same with the K2000D also.  So I highly doubt the slowness is video card related.

I've lost hours of time configuring windows to look and more or less function the way I prefer, which is old style look and feel.  Turning off annoying things like sticky keys and all that.  No screensaver, no frilly junk. 

We are a small business.

No antivirus scanners running.  Except possibly whatever is defaulted in win7.  They have changed everyrthing, so I am not sure where to check....   I found something called Windows Defender, but it sounds more like an anti - hijack thing for the browser. 

The only thing I use IE for is to download Firefox.  Then add Noscript and Adblock+ 

I've been using PCs since the days of win3.1 & DOS.  With no antivirus continuous scan running.  Never had a problem.  Don't use IE or Outlook or Office.

Old hard drive:  Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

New Hard drive:  Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps 16MB Cache 3.5"

Everthing else I do on the new system is faster or the same [or not different enough to notice] as the old one.  CADSTAR is a big PCB design program.  ISE is the development system for Xilinx chips.  Both are big complex applications with lots of file transfer via our network / server.  Only Solidworks is slower.

Thank you,

Dave

Jerry Steiger

Dave,

You say "old style look and feel" and "no frilly junk". That suggests that you don't have a Windows Desktop Aero Theme selected. As Anna suggested, that may be the root of your problems. SolidWorks relies on certain elements in Windows that aren't there if you don't have an Aero Theme selected.

Jerry S.

Anna Wood

Yes, to get the resolution you are used to you need to get a 16:10 aspect ratio.  Yes, those monitor are expensive.  I have two Dell UltraSharp 30" monitors on my desk here.  All of our engineers have dual UltraSharps.   The resolution along with the IPS displays are worth every penny we spent on them.

I am curious what is the brand and model of monitor you are using?  What is the adaptor type you are using on the monitor? Hopefully not an old VGA adaptor.  If you are using VGA then yes the video display will be slow/grainy.  That old technology does not have the bandwidth to support newer hardware and software code.

How much tweaking of your Windows 7 install do you do from out of the box install?  Are you applying the rules of thumb you used for XP to Windows 7?  Many of those rules of thumb do not apply with Windows 7.  Take your install back to a standard Windows 7 install and quit trying to make it act like Windows XP.  SolidWorks 2013 is designed to work with Windows 7 with much of what you likely tweaked and turned off.

Be sure to enable a Windows Aero Desktop theme. SolidWorks uses technology enabled with Windows Aero to help drive the display.

Your new system will run circles around your old system with SolidWorks 2013.  I think you may have tweaked yourself into a poor performing system.  You might get with your reseller to get some help with your install.

Cheers,

Anna

David Tiefenbrunn

The monitors are 21" NEC FE2111SB  CRTs.  Yes they are old.    They are now working with the DVI-I to VGA adapter things that came with the video card.  [All 3 NVIDIA Quadros I've touched came with them.] 

The display is working fine now.  It was only with that one driver that it was weird.  The slowness is only during the rebuilds.  The display pops instantly when it's done.  The saving is slow as a dog, why would graphics stuff effect that?

There is no $ for monitors now. 

Yeah, it looks like I'm not using areo.  It looks more like classic. 

Some of the tweaks were based on performance issues - going all the way back to win98.  Some are just visual preferences that go back to win 3.1.  [side note - we switched to the office online stuff for company email and stuff.  I can't use it.  They use shades of grey / low contrast colors on white.  I got Thunderbird to work with it, and Openoffice for the tiny amount of that sort of thing I do.]

As far as more details, I shut off the distracting windows animations stuff, plain blue screen background, change the window background color because full on white is hard on my eyes.  Shut off things like personalized menus.  I want things to be where they are, not changed at the whim of the OS or whatever.  Images behind the icons on the desktop, distraction I'd rather not have.  I put the taskbar on the left side of the leftmost monitor.  I'd make it one icon wide but win7 won't let me make it less than 2 icons wide.  But I got over that by adding a 3rd monitor.  [using the onboard video of the motherboard]  I use quicklaunch.  I don't use tabs gennerally, I use multiple windows.  If the only computer I used was the one at work, it would be easier to just "go along" with changing how the OS looks and works every other year thing, and forget the old OSs.  But I use several computers at home for a lot of different things.  And they don't need to be replaced that often.  Actually, that would be impractical financially.  Never mind the endless software updates!  I routinly use machines with win98, win2000 and winXP.  The only reason I got the first XP machine at home was when I started using Solidworks and learned I could use the home liscense. 

I'll have to ask the reseller about this also.

Thank you for the help.

Kelvin Lamport

David Tiefenbrunn wrote:

Not much difference with the rebuild time and all that, but it was grainy and slow when turning  / positioning the model with the 3D mouse.

Some people have had problems when using certain 3D mouses. Try updating (or changing) the mouse driver.

Which 3D mouse are you using?

David Tiefenbrunn

The quote above is about the older driver that came with the Quadro 2000D.  When I installed the newest version, those problems went away.

The slowness I am seening, and have seen with both the K2000D and the 2000D are the time between triggering a rebuild and the display updating.  And the time it takes to do a file save.   The disply moves smoothly and quickly as it always had, even on the old machine.

The mouse is a 3dconnexion.  The one with a stainless base, about the size of a hocky puck.

Andrew Kronquist

You need aeroglass enabled? That seems strange because most things I've read say to disable it to increase general performance.

Anna Wood

What most things you have read? For SolidWorks or other things?  Maybe you are thinking an XP machine.

What worked for XP is not automatically good for a Windows 7 system. 

Windows Aero On has been the proper configuration for a number of years on a Windows 7 machine.

For SolidWorks, since I think the big UI change in 2008, you need a Windows Aero Desktop theme enabled.  There are countless posts on this forum that mentions this.  Usually the second question asked about graphics issues after "Do you have an approved video card and driver installed".

SolidWorks actually uses some of the code from Windows Aero to drive the UI in the graphics area.

Cheers,

Anna

Andrew Kronquist

I usually read about disabling aeroglass in discussions about speeding up other applications, probably in XP. Personally, this is the first I've heard about it in regard to SW. It's good information, too, because I recently installed an older application that switches me out of aeroglass, and I was half thinking of making it permanent. I guess I won't now!

Andy Sanders

Very first thing to try is turn your Power Options settings to "High Performance"

Andrew Miller

Definitely notice this too. Normally I like to work very fast, but with SW2013, I add a mental "beat" after every click to wait for it to register. Sometimes that still isn't enough and I have to go back and retry the click. Perhaps Dessault should hire some programmers with GUI design experience--they might be able to fix these kinds of problems.