AnsweredAssumed Answered

Solidworks geometry for Sigmanest Auto tooling

Question asked by Dawn Phillips on Sep 20, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 by Dawn Phillips

Hello.

We use Solidworks for drawing and Sigmanest for our nested programs. Please let me know if this is possible. Here is what I am looking to do:

I add an extruded hole to my Solidworks sheet metal part. I need a special shape in my Sigmanest file for auto tooling to pick up the formed extruded hole.

I need a flat drawing showing the formed hole in the dimensioned flat view but I need additional geometry for the special shape in the file that I auto tool with Sigmanest.

My defined shape looks like a pacman symbol that I have defined as the extrusion tool in Sigmanest.

So I need to be able to create my drawing showing the formed views as well as the flat pattern like you would normally show on a manufacturing drawing.

THEN, I need to be able to produce a .dxf file showing the pacman symbol where the extrusion is for Sigmanest to auto tool.

I would like this to happen simply by placing the form tool on my 3D model and not having to manipulate the .dxf file afterwards. That is what we have been doing but it opens up room for error. If we forget to add the pacman symbol where the extrusion is on the .dxf file the feature gets left out.

I have thought of using configurations in some way but haven't gotten it figured out yet.

I hope I have explained this well enough for you to understand. The left image below is the view that would be on the drawing with dimensions showing the extrusion on the far side of the part. The right image is showing the special geometry needed for auto tooling in Sigmanest. The round hole is the pre-punch and the pacman symbol is for the extrusion tool.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Dawn

extrusion.JPG

Outcomes