6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2013 2:14 PM by Matthew Lorono

Breaking dim lines very frustrating

Sid Humphreys

Afternoon all,

I am having a H**L of a time trying to break dimension/leader lines.  Is there not a way that I can just pick the dimension and pick where to start and stop the leader or witness line break?  For example the 9.95 dimension around the object lines of the view and the 5.56 dimension as well.    Version 2013 here guys.  I do not want to type some number into a setting and hope that SW knows where I want the break either.  I want to be able to pick with my mouse where to start and stop.

Thanks

Sid

• Re: Breaking dim lines very frustrating
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Sid,

I'm afraid you won't like the answer.  See this post:  https://forum.solidworks.com/message/380415#380415.

Sid Humphreys

As always Glenn,  thank you so much for replying.  You have to be kidding me?  I researched and read a bunch about people having the same issues like 3 or 4 revisions ago.  I just figured with my newness that I just could not figure out how to make it work or was missing some silly radial button that I needed to check in options like always.

SW being able to accomplish what it does and NOT be able to break lines like every other CAD package is just unacceptable.  Especially since users having been bringing this up for years now.  Thats a real shame.

Thanks Glenn

Matthew Lorono

Sid,

As you are aware, currently when the user chooses to use breaks, the breaks of extension and dimension lines are driven by knowing the element that line is breaking around.  If the position of the other element changes, the break automatically adjusts position to match.  The breaks are smart enough to disappear when there is no more overlap.

If SolidWorks was to implement the workflow that you mentioned, would you OK with the break not updating as the dimension is repositioned and/or the underlying elements are moved?  Would you be OK with manually remove breaks that are no longer necessary?

Sid Humphreys

Hello Matthew,

What good is it that the breaks are "smart" if they are not where I want them or I cannot PUT them where I want them?  You are assuming the software is smarter than the user.  this is exactly why I most times design with the auto constraint option off.  i do not want the software thinking for me.  I want the ability to put the breaks where I want them.  not have the software automatically THINK it knows where I want them and then smartly move and or remove them for me.  It does me no good if they are not where I wanted them in the first place now does it.  You really need to add this capability to your software.  Alot of the times creating drawings is done manually.  Things are not always cut and dry when you get to the drawing.  SW needs to get there.  Pro/E, UG, and many other CAD programs have been there for a while.

Thank you for your reply.

Sid

Matthew Lorono

Sid, et al,

Let me ask a some questions. 

• What are the elements around which you need to break dimension/extension lines?  (You mentioned geometry above as one element.) 
                          • You mentioned that the break gaps are currently not where you want them. What instances are there where SolidWorks is putting break gaps in the wrong place? 
                          • How many drawings do you have where current break gap functionality is in use? 

• How often has current functionality produced correct/desired results?
                          • Do you still have use of current break gap functionality?
                          • Does your company follow ASME/ISO drafting standards?