7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 11:48 AM by Jared Conway

exporting an imported dxf file form solidworks to comsol

Dana Faiez

Hi,

I imported a 2D geometry (which includes many curved lines) into solidworks from DXF and wanted to export it to COMSOL now. I have the livelink with COMSOL and checked the 'COMSOL adds on' box in Solidworks, and then tried synchronizing it in COMSOL but I get an error that says: the file does not contain any geometry.

I tried doing the same thing with a geometry that was built in Solidworks (3D) and it worked fine.

I was wondering if this is becasue I have a 2d geometry or is it becasue this is an imported geometry?

Thanks,

Dana

• Re: exporting an imported dxf file form solidworks to comsol
          Jared Conway

Probably a good one for a comsol forum but your hypothesis sounds right.

I have little experience with comsol but I remember that you could make a region from the edges of a part. Could that work? Make a 3d part and then make the edges a region?

What will you do with 2d sketch in comsol? Could a surface work?

• Re: exporting an imported dxf file form solidworks to comsol
              Dana Faiez

Thanks for your response.

Well in COMSOL we can always create a work-plane in 3D and build our 2D geometry on that. However,  the 'synchronize' option only apears in 3D and not in 2D. For instance, with the 'import' option, I can use it both in 3D and 2D in general ;  if I make a work-plane, I can import a geometry on that surface but that's not the case for synchronizing option.

I also tried importing the solid work to both 2D and 3D but when the browse window opens, it does not recognize my sldprt file and doesn't show it at all, in 3D. And in 2D, sldprt is not an option in comsol to be imported at all!

The reason why I thought this would be a better question for a Solidworks forum than COMSOL is that there are not too many options under the 'synchronize'. And I have tried all and none has worked. Also, I do not know anything about solidworks and I was a bit suspicious on how solidworks treats an imported 2D object (from dxf) becasue I could not use any of the tools from the spline tool for instance on the object (they are all gray).

Here is the imported object:

mask in solidworks.png

Thanks,

Dana