8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2013 2:55 PM by Dana Faiez

exporting a 2D geomtry to COMSOL

Dana Faiez

Hi,

I imported a 2D geometry (which includes many curved lines) into solidworks from DXF and wanted to export it to COMSOL now. I have the livelink with COMSOL and checked the 'COMSOL adds on' box in Solidworks, and then tried synchronizing it in COMSOL but I get an error that says: the file does not contain any geometry.

I tried doing the same thing with a geometry that was built in Solidworks (3D) and it worked fine.

I was wondering if this is becasue I have a 2d geometry or is it becasue this is an imported geometry?

Thanks,

Dana

• Re: exporting a 2D geomtry to COMSOL
          Jerry Steiger

Dana,

You might want to ask this question in the SolidWorks Simulation/Simulation forum as well.

I have never worked with COMSOL, but in ANSYS I have to tell it up front what type of geometry I am bringing in by setting up some of the options properly. It I forget and leave the default 3D geometry settings, then I get a similar warning when I try to import 2D geometry.

Jerry S.

Dana Faiez

Thanks,

I just posted it in the simulation forum too.

There not many options I can play with in comsol when I import an object and I have tried all and nothing worked.

So I am gussing the problem might be from solidworks(?)

Dana

Jerry Steiger

Dana,

I'm surprised that COMSOL doesn't have a lot of import options, since they do so many multi-physics type of analyses.

ANSYS does a really nice job of hiding various important options in unexpected places. Perhaps COMSOL does the same.

How does the import into COMSOL happen? Does it use Parasolid? If so, that might be the problem, as I think it is quite possible that Parasolid only exports solids and surfaces, not sketches or 2D geometry.

Jerry S.

Dana Faiez

I am actaully using the Synchronize option in Comsol, not import (I have tried importing it but I get some other errors).

So when I run both programs at the same time, I can directly send the geometry from solidworks to comsol and i have done it with some other 3D geometries before.

I don't know any solidworks and I am not sure how solidworks treats an imported object. I saved the imported dxf file as sldpart so it should be considered as a normal solidwork object!

The other thing that suprized me was when I wanted to use 'simplify spline' tool but all the spline tools were gray and I couldn't select the curves of my geometry to use any of those tools.

Dana

Jerry Steiger

Dana,

Your pictures don't show up on my machine.

Do you have someone who knows SolidWorks better who can help you locally?

SolidWorks is primarily focussed on solid bodies, as you might expect from the name. It is not necessarily a good program to handle 2D objects.

What form are your dxf objects in SolidWorks? Does it show up as a 2D Sketch, a 3D Sketch, as Edges? Simplify Spline probably only works in a Sketch.

Jerry S..