7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2013 9:32 AM by Marta Birkic

Bounding surfaces

Marta Birkic

Hi,

if anyone could help me solve this problem?

I have to somehow connect these two surfaces (the bottom is piece of body and I pick its lines and the upper is opened. I got it by

lofting with similar profile.)

It would be nice if that new piece follows these purple tangent lines.

It won't work using surface loft (says that some selected lines are invalid).

And if I use boundary surfaces, I don't get the result I want. I pick these guidlines to get smooth transition,

but it shows me an *error* message in direction2 dialog box.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you

• Re: Bounding surfaces
          Anna Wood

Can you post your part file?

Cheers,

Anna

Marta Birkic

Sure, but it's a mess

Just, how do I post a file here ?

Anna Wood

Use the Advanced Editor link in the upper right of the dialog box.  From there you can attach files.

CHeers,

Anna

Marta Birkic

Thank you, Anna.

Here it goes

Charles Culp

Marta,

I am using SolidWorks 2013, so I cannot save my file in your version. I can, however, give you commentary:

No need to create curves on edges. Just use boundary surface, and select the edge. If you need to select multiple edges which are all tangent, right click and use Selection Manager. It is better this way than creating curves on existing edges. This is true for surface models, and is backwards from best practices for solid models.

Second, edit Boundary-Surface2. Change "Curve3" and instead just select the edge of the face of that existing surface body. Then change the end condition to "Tangent to Face". This will create the smooth transition between the new face and the existing face that you will need later for your next transition. This "tangency to face" should be standard whenever trying to create a transition to an existing surface that you want to be smooth. In fact, you will typically want "curvature to face," which is an even smoother transition.

TangentToFace.PNG

Later, you create small "bridges" in features Boundary-Surface3, Boundary-Surface4. There are better ways to do this. Create the sketch along the Right Plane or Front Plane that you want to be the boundary. Then, instead of selecting an end condition of "tangent to face" make it "normal to profile". Then when you mirror, it will be tangent.

Also, don't thicken until the very end, after you create the transition you are currently unable to create.

Finally, to answer your question:

First create Boundary-Surface that is "tangent" and "curvature" to the existing edges. Note that I used "tangent" and "curvature" end constraints, and didn't used any guide-curves.

Boundary-SurfaceWithEndConditions.PNG

Then, trim away to the transition you want using the surface-trim tool. I created a spline sketch on the Front Plane, tangent to existing edges.

TrimWithSketchOnFrontPlane.PNG

Repeat to trim on the opposite edge, and then you will have a clean transistion.

This model should be a good example for you on how to do these types of shapes:

http://solidsmack.com/cad/the-iphone-3g-model-take-2-plus-surfacing-resources-and-coolness-from-mark-biasotti/

Or download the Sound Dock here: http://www.swtuts.com/?p=329