6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 5:02 PM by Jared Conway

Designing Impeller

Krishna Prasad

hey guys,

I'm pretty new to the forum here, new to solidworks flow simulation as well. Here goes my question,

I'm supposed to design an impeller which is used inside an indstrial reactor, may be it looks like a boat propellor or something. I'm having many designs, may be shape varies, number of blades changes, the sweep dia changes and so on.

Supposing the fluid inside my reactor is just water and the impeller is placed on a shaft at a higher location, my aim is to select one from these designs which would pump the maximum amount of water downwards and which consumes the minimum power. Is it possible to do this in flow simulation, If yes I need tips and instructions regarding that.

Thanks,

Krishna.

• Re: Designing Impeller
          Jared Conway

Should be possible.

Start by reviewing the recommendations in the solvin engineering problems document and the articles on rotating regions in he solidworks kb.

The only issue I have with your problem description is what you mean by flowing downwards. I would just build a virtual test tunnel, test them all under the same conditions and pick based on that.

Krishna Prasad

Thanks for the reply Jared, sorry for the late reply I was busy with some other projects. I would definitely look in to your suggestions.

Krishna.

Bill McEachern

I am with Jared on this one. You should be able to ge a good estimate of the performance impacts for the mods you are considering. Experimental validation is always a good move but you can use simulation to help you narrow your search on what the first experimental choice is.

You will need to instrument the model (add goals and geometry as needed to get what you want. You will need to review a tutorial on rotating regions as suggested by Jared. I assume you know how to use flow on the basics. If not you should review quite a few of hte tutorial files, maybe consider training.

Piotr Church

No, No flow simulation package will give you the answer, you need experience or speak to someone with experience as there are may factors that effect the performance of an impeller. Best way to start of is to buy a exsisting product, I suggest a Shower Pump, cheap and easy to modify to suit your needs,  these are little coil wound motors, with a impeller at one or either end, within a shaped housing, plus a sprung loaded ceramic seal to keep the water one side and the electrics the other. learn and study this first, then use your learnings buy building and test your own prototypes, before venturing to larger scales. 

Krishna Prasad

Thanks for your suggestions Piotr and Bill, In fact we do have a set up for testing prototypes and thats the way we figure out what we need. Like Bill said I'm trying to narrow down the options we have with us using the software so that we can create the prototypes of the best options we have and test them under actual conditions which would save time and money. I have gone through some tutorials and did get some idea on how to do this. I would definitely ask my doubts in case I come across any.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions,

Krishna.