8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 2:10 PM by Andi H

GrabCAD-100% Free Models

Casey Dickson

I have been using alot of these 100% FREE models from..

GrabCAD.com

https://grabcad.com/home

check them out.

• Re: GrabCAD-100% Free Models
          Andi H

this site is a rip off exploits its members for their models and doesnt really care. Chinese and other companies download and sell other peoples work for profit grabcad and its staff stands by does nothing. Half of the models are stolen from internet and people upload them as their own. Not to mentino the Challenge rip off where they ask memebers to design stuff grabcad gets Cash members get tshirt and mug. Members are nice and great people though.

Simon Beamish

Also to add that GrabCAD are now partnered with Autodesk...

Andi H

they have a few sponsors and investors and are working on application development Keyshot Autodesk and few others. The members are great people though they will help you or even model stuff for you or give you rights to use their models and they ask for nothing. The staff though I had some issues thats why canceled account.

Hardi Meybaum

Hi Simon,

our aim is to play nice with all the CAD vendors. The Design and Engineering process becomes more and more distributed and in every project, there are multiple software involved and we think if we can offer best value when we bring all of these tools together.

After Autodesk we partnered with SolidEdge, Keyshot, IronCAD and are working with more vendors. There are some exiting news about Solidworks plugin coming soon, so staytuned.

Hardi Meybaum

Hi Andi,

I'm a Founder of GrabCAD and just found this thread. First of all I really wanted to aplogyze for the bad experience you have had.
                    We love Solidworks software and users and this is really dissapointing.

About your feedback to the Chinese sites.

GrabCAD Library is totally free for everyone and we are not making any money from it. It's really to support the open-engineering and get people sharing content, learn from each other and be more proactive. I'm a mechanical engineer and GrabCAD is built to help other engineers.

Unfortunately not all the engineers think that way. And there are situations were people are uploading other people projects to GrabCAD -  so we changed the terms and we don't allow to take credit for other peeople work.

There also have been situations were there have been dishonest attempts to take the content from GrabCAD and sell it. Most of this have happened in Chinese sites. Every time this happens we do our best to get these sites down and so far we have succeed most of the times. We have lawyers sending letters for these sites. We believe we have done everything and continue to do everything to keep the GrabCAD Community honest.

If there is anything we can do please shoot me a note hardi@grabcad.com and I promise we will take care of this.

Andi H

I guess its not your fault either. hard to manage 700,000 members and god knows how many models. Overall when you look at the site I would say the members are pretty great and very helpful. I do think the challenges are a bit unfair to the designers but then again nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. No its no problem Hardi its all good I had some issue with copyright on one of my models the cad drawings were not mine but its all good. cheers

Hardi Meybaum

Andi, about the Challenges. If you look the Challenges the main motivation for people to participate is to learn and test new skills. It's the reason to come out from your daily routine and solve some interesting challenge. Money is toally secondary motivation for people to participate.