2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2013 7:47 PM by Steven Jones

Display States - Sub-assemblies not staying hidden

Jeff Meszaros

I am working on a drawing right now to detail the hydraulic component layout of a machine.

I have two display states that show:

• machine with hydraulic components
      • hydraulic components & specific parts of the machine for mounting hydraulics (most of machine is hidden)

Whenever I make changes to one display state it messes with the other display state (ex. I hide an assembly in the 1st assembly, and it's sub-assemblies show up in the 2nd display state). Also when switching back and forth between display states, they are not displaying the proper components until rebuilt (100% of the time).

There are 3 top level assemblies, and parts that are hidden are usually 2-3 levels down. I am unsure if this is an issue, or if there is another way to set this up.

It seems we have trouble with display states frequently, and this can translate to random floating parts in the drawing (typically mutli-page drawings and issues are not always caught).

Has anyone else run into this issue, and better yet, found a solution?

• Re: Display States - Sub-assemblies not staying hidden
          Jeff Meszaros

Can anyone provide any information on this issue?

• Re: Display States - Sub-assemblies not staying hidden
            Steven Jones

Save as Display State.jpg

Be aware at all times that Display States are bi-directional between drawings and assembly models.

• Hiding parts of the assembly in the drawing will go back and create an "Appearance Display State" in the assembly.
            • This can mess things up a lot, especially when passing a drawing + assemble back and forth between users who do / or do not use display  states.
            • These "Appearance Display States" will be hiding if you don't uncheck "Link Display States to Configurations".

With small assemblies, it may work best to create a "Derived Configuration" and link it to the Display State.

THE best way to use display states is to Isolate the parts (in the assy) you want to show in the drawing view, then Right Click and 'Save as Display State'.

Be sure to Name each Display State, then keep an eye on the feature manager tree IN THE DRAWING to make sure you have the Display State and Configuration you want in the drawing view.

If you add components to the Assy after you create Display States, the software doesn't know where to hide or show them, so you must go back to the Display States, activate them, select the new parts, then hide the new parts IN that particular Display State.

THE most powerful and easy way to make Display States is the Isolate > Save As Display State.

Hope this helps.

P.S. if every user in your organization or group doesn't understand Display States, it's a hopeless nightmare to share work and editing duties.