6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 10:46 PM by Jerry Steiger

SolidWorks 2014 - Style Spline

Charles Culp

Hello everyone, I hope to post a bunch of quick videos on the new features of SolidWorks 2014. This first one isn't so quick, it is 22 minutes. It is an excellent new tool, so I wanted to cover it thorougly.

An introduction to Style Spline, a new feature in SolidWorks 2014.

The style spline uses Bezier curves, while the existing spline tool uses b-spline curves. This allows for easier control of the shape and always creates smooth curves. These splines are mathematically more simple, so a complex tool is inherently less powerful, but the style spline is likely to become my spline sketching tool of choice.

http://www.swtuts.com/?p=734

• Re: SolidWorks 2014 - Style Spline
          Alin Vargatu

Thanks, Charles!

Charles Culp

Quick tip I missed in the video:

Hold down ALT when completing a style spline, and it will automatically form a tangent relationship with the line you are making it coincident with.

Neil Larsen

Well done Charles. I kind of wonder why Mark didnt present this but perhaps he is busy elsewhere.

SW marketing have done a very good job of their launch presentation this year. Very good videos anyway although they dont so much as detail whats new as promote the capabilities of SW itself, which is not entirely a bad thing to do  I suppose.

The trouble I have is that it is reallly only half a release content wise perhaps even a third and that is pretty disappointing to behold again given DS assurances SW is as actively developed as ever. There do seem to be some handy enhancements however.

I also note that the release of SMC appears to have slipped again this time from October to January. Unfortunately after all this time waiting for it you rather suspect it is a fundamentally troubled product getting reworked repeatedly.

This still isnt a good look for Dassault and while we seem to have moved along from the foot in mouth phase there is still some straightening out of intent and confessional work to do for their customers sake. Hopefully they can do as good a job of that as they have launching 2014 even though it would be several years late.

Charles Culp

According to DS, SMC has been released to a small set of customers. They are waiting until January to make it available for general sale to the public. So it is sort-of a soft release, if you will. They will have thirty customers using it by the end of the month. That tells me it isn't "fundamentally troubled," but more of a ramp up to fix bugs. Waiting until all the bugs are out before a general release of a brand new product sounds like a good idea to me.

Neil Larsen

...we'll see, a lack of bugs would be preferable but honestly I'm not expecting that overall it will be much good, although I am hoping its going to be better sorted than n!Fuze for the dignity of everyone involved if nothing else. They should change the name before the launch though, Solidworks Mechanical Conceptual just isnt very palatable. Imagine being a VAR in India and having to say that. It is Dassault Systemes Solidworks Mechanical Conceptual system, isnt it? or maybe a Japanese VAR... probably many nationalities will regret that one. Still it apparently makes sense in French so thats all that matters.

Jerry Steiger

Charles,

Nice. Thanks!

Jerry S.