7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 9:57 PM by Anna Wood

Solidworks 2013 Running Slow in between mouse clicks...

Dan Sura

Hello all,

I have two Solidworks 2013 SP4.0 installations.  The first is on a netbook with an atom processor and 2GB of RAM.  This one runs on Windows 7 in 32 bit mode.  It runs really nicely and is a big surprise as this netbook has a weak atom processor!

My second machine is an ASUS UL30A with a duo core U7300 1.3GHz processor, an Integrated Intel  GMA X4500MHD graphics card, and 4gb of RAM.  This machine ran SolidWorks 2011 really great.  I just recently installed the 2013 64 bit version (it was an administrative copy)  and it runs really slow.  When I am making a simple part or loading an assembly, it takes forever in between clicks. I see the cursor change between operations and it takes a long time, however within say rotating a view, it works quite fast.  I didn't see this issue at all in my netbook installation so I don't think its from a lack of processing power. 

Does anyone know what the issue could be and how to fix it?  Again it seems to take a long time in between clicks or operations but not within them. 

• Re: Solidworks 2013 Running Slow in between mouse clicks...
          Anna Wood

Probably the Intel graphics....  That is old tech video introduced in 2008.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_X4500

SW is very sensitive to having proper video cards.

How to fix.....  Get a current technology computer with a proper gpu.  With a laptop you are stuck with the hardware and will not be able to do anything with it for upgrades.

Cheers,

Anna

Dan Sura

Thanks for the suggestion.  I still don't know if the UL30a laptop is a problem for running SolidWorks 2013.  The Aus UL30a worked awesome with SolidWorks 2011 but it is super slow (only in between mouse clicks) for 2013.

Suprisingly the EEE netbook with the Intel GMA 950 and the weak atom processor handles Solidworks 2013 really well.   I didn't change any drivers, etc. so this makes me think it could be something else.   Its in between operations that the Solidworks 2013 on the UL30a seems to lag, even with super simple parts like a simple cylinder.

Kelvin Lamport

...so I don't think its from a lack of processing power.

I disagree. SW is all about processing power. To get even half-decent performance you should be looking at a minimum 3GHz cpu ... and a non-integrated card.

See also https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/71847?tstart=0 for power setting which could affect performance.

Dan Sura

Thanks for your input.  I see your point, but the EEE netbook with a wimpy atom processor and only 2gb of ram, Windows 7 and Solidworks 2013 is running circles around my Asus UL30a running Windows 7 and Solidworks 2013.

I can't make sense why my little EEE is running it so nicely while the UL30a is having delays in between operations.  I am not sure if its a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue?  The EEE is running SW13 32 bit and the ASUS UL30a is running SW13 64 bit..  but also The UL30a handled SolidWorks 2011 64 bit really well!

I am wondering if there is some other silly setting causing my installation to lag in between operations or mouse clicks.. again when I actually have a complicated assembly and I rotate view, it doesn't lag at all, only when I stop rotating and try to do something else like start a new sketch, etc.

Dan Sura

I still can't make sense why my netbook can run the 32 bit version really nicely, but my UL30a laptop which has a duo core processor is having a tough time with it.  Does anyone have any ideas why this is the case?  Again Solidworks seems to lag in between operations, I see the cursor turn to the busy state a lot longer than it does on my netbook, even for a super simple part like a cylinder.  I am wondering if its an issue with some type of setting, or a slow internet connection?  SW 2012 ran perfectly fine on my UL30a without these delays in between operations.

Anna Wood

That is why we recommend SolidWorks approved hardware and video cards.  Anything else is a crap shoot if it will work or not.

Newer versions of SolidWorks tend to need more resources.  SolidWorks codes to take advantage of the latest and greatest in hardware advances with support for legacy systems to a point.  Even with that there comes a time when the needs of SolidWorks will outstrip the performance of an old computer. 

You are  at the major disadvantage of using old, very low end consumer hardware designed to access e-mail and surf the Internet.  CAD is high performance software that taxes systems to their max and needs higher end hardware to perform well.

Consider yourself lucky to get SW2011 to run adequately on your systems.  I think your luck has run out on one of your systems. 

Sorry,

Anna

Dan Sura

Hi Anna, I appreciate your response.

The irony behind the entire thing.... my luck runs out on a duo core laptop but not on a netbook with a wimpy atom processor!

The duo core laptop was running all the older versions of SolidWorks 2012 and prior really well.  My little netbook with a wimpy atom processor had struggled with running all these older versions, it ran them a lot slower.

Then I switch to 2013 and the netbook runs it really well and the duo core laptop seems to lag in between operations.  I can't believe my netbook is outperforming a much more capable laptop!   This is the sole reason why I believe something is wrong with settings, more so  than having a laptop that can't handle the 2013 version.  I understand my luck will run out soon with all these newer versions and these older machines I have but if that was the case, I am surprised my netbook can handle 2013 really well.

The only thing I can think of is that my netbook has an SSD drive and it is running 32 bit solidworks whereas the duo core laptop has a regular hard drive and 64 bit solidworks.  Again I am not sure if there is something wrong in settings, as it seems to lag only when you click on something, but when rotating, panning, etc, even big assemblies it does it without any delays (so it seems it isn't a problem with the graphics card).