8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2013 6:55 AM by Joe Trzaska

Single Drawing Template for Multi-Page Drawings Wanted

Matthew M

Our drawings use a detailed title block on the first page and then a simplified title block on all other pages.  To do this now, we have two templates.  We select the first page template when we create the drawing.  Then, when a new sheet is added, we have to browse to the correct sheet format (template number 2) to get it.  This is a manual step that is easy for users to forget that could result in drawgins with the wrong format for the second page and onward.

Is there a way to do this with a single drawing template?

Matthew

SW 2012

• Re: Single Drawing Template for Multi-Page Drawings Wanted
          Glenn Schroeder

Matthew,

Welcome to the forum.  I have a similar situation.  Open a new drawing, with the correct first sheet template.  Insert the second sheet, browsing to the correct sheet format.  Save this as a new drawing template.  In the future, when you start a new drawing with this template, it will have the correct sheet templates loaded.  If your users need more than two sheets, then if they make sure that they have sheet two active when adding the new sheet it will come in with the same sheet format (assuming that they don't have the box checked for "Show sheet format dialog on add new sheet" at Tools > Options > System Options > Drawings.

I hope this helps,

Glenn

Matt Martens

If it was me, I would have my sheet 1 format loaded on my document template when it was saved so when I opened a new drawing it would be there already. I would have my sheet 1 format stored in a different location than my format for sheet 2 or more. I would only set the system options for sheet formats to the folder with the sheet 2 or more formats. This way when you add a sheet, the add page dialog would only see the formats from the system options, which would be for sheet 2 or more.

If you have more than 1 possibility for the sheet format, you could create a different document template for each 1 you would use.

Matt Martens

Matthew M

Matt,

I think this method will work for us.  The only issue is that if users need to replace the sheet format for the first page (e.g. if they need to update an old drawing with the current sheet format), only the sheet 2 formats will show up in their default list and they'll have to browse to find the sheet 1 formats.  This won't happen very often, so it's an issue we'll live with.

Thanks,

Matthew

Joe Trzaska

I found this in the help section as I was having a similar problem. I used to have  a second sheet load when pushing the add sheet button/tab but when I reloaded SW2014 on my new workstation i lost my second sheet. I will use this to fix it..

Multiple Drawing Sheets

You can add sheets to the drawing at any time.

Adding a Sheet

You can add new sheets to existing drawing documents.

To add a sheet:

1. Click Insert > Sheet. You can also right-click any sheet tab or any sheet icon in the FeatureManager design tree, and select Add Sheet.
                2. One of the following applies:
                  • If the option Show sheet format dialog when adding new sheet from Options Tool_Options_Standard.gif, Drawings is selected, the dialog opens for you to set sheet format options.
                  • If the option Show sheet format dialog when adding new sheet from Options Tool_Options_Standard.gif, Drawings is not selected, and the Drawing Sheets document property is set to use a default sheet format for new sheets, a new sheet is added using the default sheet format.
                  • If the option Show sheet format dialog when adding new sheet from Options Tool_Options_Standard.gif, Drawings is not selected, and the Drawing Sheets document property is not set, a new sheet is added using the format of the existing sheet.

Setting Second Sheet Format

The Drawing Sheets document property lets you specify a default sheet format for when you add new sheets to drawing documents. This property lets you automatically have one sheet format for the first sheet and a separate sheet format for all additional sheets.

To specify a different sheet format for a new sheet:

1. Click Tools > Options > Document Properties > Drawing Sheets.
                2. Select Use different sheet format, and browse to select a sheet format file (file ending in .slddrt).

Viewing a Different Sheet

To view a different sheet, do one of the following:

• Click the sheet tab of the desired sheet.
                • Right-click the sheet tab or the sheet icon in the FeatureManager design tree, and select Activate.

Joe Trzaska