I have done both of these before. Answers below:
1) If the login type for EnterprisePDM is set to Windows Login, is it possible to send email notifications to users who are not a part of the company's Active Directory/not on the domain
- Have IT create a dummy user account in Active Directory (AD) for each user outside your company (vendors/suppliers) who need to get inside your EPDM data.
- When IT sets up their user account either, provide them with the email to the external users
- Create user groups that will allow you to manage their permissions.
- Create a "Vendors" or "Suppliers" folder in EPDM and sub folders for each of the vendors who need to use your EPDM system.
- Have document control "share"data to their supplier folder upon release.
- Train the external users to use the web client to see their data
2) How can I attach files (PDF's, etc) to email notifications from EPDM? Is there an existing API for this?
- I created an API add-in that will monitor vendor/supplier folders and send an email to the external users using their AD email.
- I have also created an API add-in that will email external users and attach the PDF of the changed drawing
It may be possible to configure EPDM to natively email users with notifications on folder changes or files that get changed but I prefer setting up a separate area to keep the users from "perusing" or "browsing" our entire EPDM vault.
Tim, thank you very much for your answers. Re API add-in, I'm not experienced at all with programming, do you have any examples to help me get started?
That's a pretty big job for not being experienced with programming.
I would recommend getting your processes under control as a foundation and consider adding this advanced functionality after you have your processes stable.
If you are still interested, my company offers EPDM add-in consulting. Take a look at my site.
Hope this helps,