6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 12:13 PM by Tim Webb

How to show "transition" column in file vault view

James Lee

Is there any way to show a "transition" column in file vault view? Currently I have to go to the history view to see the transition of a document.

• Re: How to show "transition" column in file vault view
          Jim Sculley

No.  File have states, not transitions.  Transitions move a file from one state to another state.  A transition column would be meaningless.

Jim S.

Tim Read

Not so fast Jim...

Showing what Transition a file moved through to get to the current State would be useful if working with a simple WIP-Pending-Released workflow with multiple transistions between them.

However, there is not a method of showing that information directly.  You can show it indirectly by setting a variable on the datacard in each Transition that gives any information required, including the name of the transition if wanted (have to enter it manually in each transition). That Variable can then be shown in a column.

Tim

Jim Sculley

How a file got to a particular state should not matter.  If a process generates a constant need to know how a file ended up in a particular state, I would argue that the process has some serious flaws.

The only time I need to know where a file came from to get to its current state is when something has gone horribly wrong, in which case, I'll need the full history anyway.

I would balk at the effort required to maintain a workflow where every transition required a Set Variable action just to keep track of the transitions.  Change a transition name without changing the Set Variable action and all sorts of confusion will occur.

Jim S.

Tim Webb

Hi James,

I have a clarification question about the wording of your post. Based on your comment:

Currently I have to go to the history view to see the transition of a document.

Since the history does not show you the transition "name" but shows state to state movement (transition)

Capture.JPG

Are you wanting the "name" of the transition (and I'm reading between the lines here so help me out) OR are you wanting to see the transition "comment" the user entered during the last transition?

I have often needed to see the transition comment and have a variable to capture that on my data card and add that variable to my column set.

Please clarify

Thanks,

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

James Lee

Hello Tim,

I am looking at the "name" of the transition. For example from Approved to Work in Progress state, the transistion name is "Request ECR".

Please advise.

James

Tim Webb

James,

As Jim said, you could manually add the "transition name" in a "set variable" action to record the transition name in a data card variable during a transition and create a column for that variable in your column set HOWEVER if that transition name ever ever ever changes and you don't update the "set variable" action that goes with it, you could create a real nightmare to troubleshoot. And if anyone relies on that transition name, it could cause problems in operations.

Change a transition name without changing the Set Variable action and all sorts of confusion will occur.

I see the value in accomplishing what you are after but I do not know of an easy way to get there without an API and I do not recommend doing the "set variable" approach.

My approach is to create a "roadmap" of the workflow for each user group to visually identify where the files are within the workflow:

1. Take a screenshot of the workflow
                        2. Highlight their "state"
                        3. Add some text describing what actions are available to the users
                        4. Print the image
                        5. Laminate it & hand them out
                        6. If the workflow changes, create new ones OR have the users justify why the workflow needs to change due to the added expense

Makes for a great way to support your users visually and gives them some skin in the game.

Hope this helps,

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com