6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2013 2:57 PM by Jerry Steiger

problem with drawing scaffolds (tissue engineering scaffolds) for bone

Jude Tang

Hi there. I can't seem to draw on another plane. I need to draw layers of scaffolds (tissue engineering scaffolds for bone), 90degrees in direction from each n cylindrical.

also, after i extrude one item i cannot extrude another. is it normal?

i thought this should be easy but i still can't solve in after 1 week.. do help. i am beginner in solidworks.

do help me. thx in adv.

• Re: problem with drawing scaffolds (tissue engineering scaffolds) for bone
          Glenn Schroeder

Jude,

Welcome to the forum.  I'm afraid I don't understand where you're having the problem.  It seems pretty straightforward.  You can sketch a circle on your front plane and extrude it for the desired length.  Within this sketch, you can place a horizontal construction line and use it for the direction for a linear pattern for the other cylinders at the same level.  Repeat the process, sketching on the right plane, for the second row.  After the first two rows you can linear pattern vertically for the other rows (again, you can use a sketched construction line for this).

If you need more guidance or have questions please ask.  And if you haven't already done so, I would strongly encourage you to start working through the tutorials that come with SolidWorks.

Glenn

Jude Tang

Glenn,

I see. Thanks a lot it  worked.

But i can only linear pattern the sketches right? and not the extruded solid?

also, after draw n extrude 2 layers 90deg from each, can i linear pattern both of them together? can it work that way?

thank you.

Jude

Glenn Schroeder

You can linear pattern the extruded solid.  Use the Linear Pattern feature on your Features toolbar.  I have found linear patterning in sketches to be problematic, and never use them.  I think most experienced SW users will agree that it's better in almost every case to create one instance with the sketch and then Linear Pattern the body or feature.  Keep in mind that when you select the Linear Pattern it will default to having the "Features to Pattern" section open by default.  You need to select "Bodies to Pattern" instead.  I have posted a part for you to look at.  And yes, after creating the bottom two rows of cylinders you can linear pattern them both in one vertical Linear Pattern.

And Jerry gave good advice that I didn't think about yesterday. When creating the Extruded Body first cylinder on the second row there will be a box for "Merge Solids".  That should not be checked so that you will have a multi-body part.

I know nothing about Simulation.  I would suggest posting a seperate question in the Simulation section of this forum for those questions.

Since you're a new user, here is a discussion with a lot of helpful information if you would like to take a look:  https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/39793.

And again, this is all very basic SW techniques.  You can get a great deal of benefit from working through the tutorials.

Jerry Steiger

Jude,

There is one trick you need to look out for as you follow Glenn's advice. SolidWorks won't like it if your cylinders are exactly tangent. If you try to make you scaffold a single body it will complain with a "zero thickness" error. You can leave your scaffold as a multi-body part, or you can make it so that your cylinders overlap each other by a very small amount.

Jerry S.

Jude Tang

Jerry,

thx for the advice. But how do i move the 2nd layer (90deg from the 1st) to be touching the 1st layer? can i juz untick merge but still make them touching? and how will this affect the simulation? as i also need to simulate it via nastran or ansys or etc... thank you.

Jude

Jerry Steiger

Jude,

There are several different ways you can make your scaffold. I would probably extrude a single cylinder, then make a linear pattern of the bodies as Glenn suggested. Use Move/Copy to make a copy of all of the bodies and move it up one diameter. Use the same Move/Copy command, but without making a copy, and rotate the second layer by 90 degrees. Now you can linear pattern the two layers to make as many as you need. (I think you can use a feature pattern, but you may have to use a body pattern.)

The above assumes that you want your layers just touching. If you want them to actually be joined, then you will need to make your vertical move slightly smaller than the diameter. You would use the Combine feature to join the cylinders together.

What actually holds your cylinders in position? That will probably dictate how you position them and how you simulate the final part.

Jerry S.